Ford 7600 Fuel Gauge Sender

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My gauge always shows empty. The sender located in the lower fuel tank did not seem to work consistently so I bought and installed a new one. The new one ran the gauge needle through the full range when I had it out of the tank an plugged in - - but after I put it into the tank and added fuel the gauge still stays on empty.

The new sender worked again after I pulled it back out... Hard to believe both the new and the old sender have a mechanical problem. :cry:

Any tips?

the fuel gauge is like that on our 7700.it would stick an then drop down to empty just before you ran out of fuel.but it maybe stuck on empty now.so we just know how long itll run when we fill it up.i doubt if youll get your gauge to working right.

Angus Cowman":2snk3bow said:
I would say it isn't your sending unit but you have a short in the wiring system the guage shouldn't have went to full when you had it out of the tank unless you moved the float all the way up

most likely it is a ground problem

To be clearer:

Gauge would go to 1/4 when I moved the old sender float all the way up.
Gauge would go to full when I grounded the wire to the frame.
Gauge would go to full when I moved the new sender float all the way up.
Gauge stays on empty with either the new or the old sender installed inside a full fuel tank. :(

Stocker Steve":2h2193w1 said:
Angus Cowman":2h2193w1 said:
I would say it isn't your sending unit but you have a short in the wiring system the guage shouldn't have went to full when you had it out of the tank unless you moved the float all the way up

most likely it is a ground problem

To be clearer:

Gauge would go to 1/4 when I moved the old sender float all the way up.
Gauge would go to full when I grounded the wire to the frame.
Gauge would go to full when I moved the new sender float all the way up.
Gauge stays on empty with either the new or the old sender installed inside a full fuel tank. :(

Maybe it is the guage or the wiring and not the sender. I've got a Deere I changed the sender on that didn't fix the problem either.

Your lower sending unit should make your guage rise to 1/2, the float and sending unit in your upper tank should take it the rest of the way to full. I have a 7610 that has a loose wire on the top tank, it bounces between 1/2 and Full when the tractor is full.

I would say a ground problem. Hot wire (voltage reduced) goes into the gauge. Ground wire from the gauge goes to the sending unit. The second wire coming out of the sending unit should be grounded. On one wire sending units, the unit itself should be grounded... I think.

Stocker Steve":13lf3qtq said:
My gauge always shows empty. The sender located in the lower fuel tank did not seem to work consistently so I bought and installed a new one. The new one ran the gauge needle through the full range when I had it out of the tank an plugged in - - but after I put it into the tank and added fuel the gauge still stays on empty.

The new sender worked again after I pulled it back out... Hard to believe both the new and the old sender have a mechanical problem. :cry:

Any tips?
I might try grounding the tank sending unit-a jumper wire should work. Also the 7600's had a constant voltage regulator in the instrument panel, although I'm having a hard time believing it could cause the problem you are describing. :? I do know it will affect the instrument panel temp. guage. Maybe this will help.

dyates":weu11sen said:
I would say a ground problem. Hot wire (voltage reduced) goes into the gauge. Ground wire from the gauge goes to the sending unit. The second wire coming out of the sending unit should be grounded. On one wire sending units, the unit itself should be grounded... I think.

Good tip. I checked the termination and the wire but still nothing showing on the gauge, then I cleaned the battery cables and suddenly it shows 3/8 of a tank :banana:

Since everything is full, the upper tank must have a different sender issue...

Latest posts