Ford 6710

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hi all,

Found a Ford 6710 in great condition with a loader. Tractor has a cab; the air was just replaced last year. Seems like a pretty sound tractor.

Anyone have any bad experiences with the 6710???

Appears to have ample power to pull a good size clipper as well as a baler. Has 3400 hours

Thoughts???

A 6710 is a hard sell around here, too big to be a small tractor and too small to be a big tractor. 72hp in a tractor that size is not much. Personally I like the 7610 and 7710 better, more power to weight ratio. But if the price was right and it fit what I needed, I'd drive it. Be careful, a lot of the 6710s I see advertised are grey-market models, they have a rear glass split horizontally instead of vertically among other differences. Good luck getting parts for those.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3f7ce866 said:
A 6710 is a hard sell around here, too big to be a small tractor and too small to be a big tractor. 72hp in a tractor that size is not much. Personally I like the 7610 and 7710 better, more power to weight ratio. But if the price was right and it fit what I needed, I'd drive it. Be careful, a lot of the 6710s I see advertised are grey-market models, they have a rear glass split horizontally instead of vertically among other differences. Good luck getting parts for those.

cfpinz

CF,

I'm not sure what a gray market is; could you explain?

Gray market are tractors that were built for original use overseas, like England, and were imported back into the states.

dun

Thanks Dun,

I don't think that this is a gray tractor. The guy that owns it now bought it from the original owner. He gave me the serial #, but I can't find a website to look it up. I am heading out this evening to check it out thoroughly.

Tractor was originally advertised as 95 hp., but after research I've found that the pto hp is 72. Does seem on the low side for what I need.

Should this tractor be able to easily handle a 15' clipper and a large round baler? The last thing I need is to buy a tractor and find that I need a larger one...

cypressfarms":ku8r16zh said:
Thanks Dun,

I don't think that this is a gray tractor. The guy that owns it now bought it from the original owner. He gave me the serial #, but I can't find a website to look it up. I am heading out this evening to check it out thoroughly.

Tractor was originally advertised as 95 hp., but after research I've found that the pto hp is 72. Does seem on the low side for what I need.

Should this tractor be able to easily handle a 15' clipper and a large round baler? The last thing I need is to buy a tractor and find that I need a larger one...

If it was bought new in the states it's not gray.
To determine if it's enough tractor you need to consider the tractor weight and check on the mower and baler to see what hp are required.

dun

Haven't bought the clipper or baler yet; but I don't want to be constrained by the tractor hp. My current tractor is a Ford 4000, so this will be a jump in hp. My main concern is that it has enough hp to pull a bat wing type clipper and a good size baler.

cypressfarms":2th71ucr said:
Haven't bought the clipper or baler yet; but I don't want to be constrained by the tractor hp. My current tractor is a Ford 4000, so this will be a jump in hp. My main concern is that it has enough hp to pull a bat wing type clipper and a good size baler.

That makes it evewn easier. If you're buying a new mower and baler check with the dealer. If your buying used, check with a dealer and see what is required for the general size.
JD has a chart for there equipment that gives hp requirements, I would assume the dealers for other makes would have the same thing. Don;t just listen to the salesmans pitch, find it in black and white.

dun

cypressfarms,I have heard lots of folks complain about their tractor being to small,never have heard one complaining it was to big,just my opinion but,for hay chores,round baling etc,give me a 100 HP................good luck

cypressfarms":4ldjl648 said:

Another interesting thing about these tractors - find the unit # on the tag, something like 4B291 or 4B29A, can't remember which. First 4 - last # of model year built, ie 1984. B - month built, B = February. 29 - Day of month. 1 or A, (can't remember which), is shift it was built on 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Don't know if I'd want one built on graveyard. :lol:

cfpinz

Egad!!!! I've got a gray (blue) tractor on my hands. Good thing no money or checks have been exchanged.

Thanks a ton to cfpinz, who's helped me a bunch with this.

I,ve got a 4610 ford series 2 with a 7209 FEL on it , the tractor was made in England in 1989 an parts are easy to get from any New Holland Dealer. I,am well pleased with it so far, no problems.

cypressfarms":ddu8g6ju said:
Egad!!!! I've got a gray (blue) tractor on my hands. Good thing no money or checks have been exchanged.

Thanks a ton to cfpinz, who's helped me a bunch with this.

That gray market is a bunch of. There is not a Massey, Ford or whatever made in the states. They are all made overseas and put different numbers on them for where they are going.
I have had a 575 for years gray market. Same motor same everything thats on a 275. They are not making these tractors special for the US and a totally different one for France.
Find out what it cross references with and enjoy.

curtis":3oyajgra said:
I,ve got a 4610 ford series 2 with a 7209 FEL on it , the tractor was made in England in 1989 an parts are easy to get from any New Holland Dealer. I,am well pleased with it so far, no problems.

They were all made in England, the ones slated for North America were made differently than the ones for the overseas market (gray market). Different cabs, hitches, lighting, etc.

cfpinz

By the way, your 4610 is a total piece of junk, what do you want for it? :)