Ford 6610 cold start

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks, greybeard. See, just as I suspected, who needs an owners manual? :lol2: ;-) Really that was more enlightening than the owners manual. Thanks
Well now, it's been 8 years and I'm using my block heater on this tractor for the first time today. Would you believe that the battery lasted 8 years? I just installed a new one Friday evening.
6 degrees now and forecast colder in the morning.

I'm starting to feel a bit old after realizing how long ago these post are.

I hope all are doing well, but I'm betting that I've missed a lot. Take care folks.

Where you been stranger, glad you are still around and doing well. Stay warm and stop by and visit sometime.

In our area they have a winter blend for diesel fuel. They basically cut it with about 15% Kerosene to keep it from gelling in cold weather. I don't thing gelling is a problem until you get down around 15F-20F.

Looks like its already been posted. You must have the older models 6610. On the older fords this button is on the injector pump. Put throttle wide open, hit the button (Should stay down), shot of starting fluid in air intake and crank. Once fired up release throttle immediately to lower rpms

Especially in AR where the diesel may not be really formulated for winter, I would add some Howe's Fuel additive to the fuel tank. The advantage of Howe's over some other diesel fuel additives is that it is impossible to add too much. Whereas Power Service or others should add just what the label says and no more. You can get Howe's at a truck stop.

Also: forget biodiesel fuel anytime the tree leaves start turning color in the fall until tree leaves are green again in the spring. Think of it like deep fryer cooking grease. You know what that looks like when it gets cold.

Maybe replace fuel filter if you haven't done so for awhile.

Use a trickle charger full time on the battery when the weather gets below freezing for long. Push the clutch in when cranking.

Block heater plugged in for an hour or two when temp is below about 20 degrees F makes starting my 7610 a lot easier. But still need to take care of diesel fuel.

Good luck.

Jim
I would second the Howe's fuel conditioner. I use it all the time but I put in extra in winter time. I had fuel gellig last year in my trackhoe. I put a gallonof Howes in my 450 gal fuel tank when they fill it. In the winter I add a quart to my tank of fuel in my MTZ/Belarus.
It was -14 this morning and my MTZ/Belarus 1220 fired off just fine. After running 40 minutes I had to pull my coat and hat off to keep from sweating in the cab. The engine never did warm up to normal even with a cardboard blocking the radiator..

I am overwhelmed by the replies. Thanks everybody.
For the record, so no one does any unnecessary research on this problem I was having, the problem was ME. The tractor started fine after I opened the throttle more than what is/was normal for a normal weather start. I've only had this tractor since spring.
For those of you with insatiable couriousity, this tractor does not have glow plugs. It does not have a manifold heater. It does not have any feature with the key switch, other than OFF, ON, START. It does have a block heater that plugs in to a standard 110v household outlet. I have never used it, and the morning I had the non-start problem the power was out due to snow storm.
My tractor has a "button" on the fuel pump (I had previously used the term "fuel control", which is a correct term for my line of work). This "button" purpose is similar to a choke on a gas rig; to enrich the mixture for cold start. I was concerned that this was not working as advertised because it would not start, so I made this post. As it turned out, simply opening the throttle more than usual did the trick. It was all me and I do feel embarassed. I do thank everybody for your advice and tips. The next morning was even colder, at 14 degrees. I pushed the button in, opened the throttle about 1/3, cranked for about 3 or 5 seconds and it started. Still haven't used the block heater, but I think I will begin doing so on really cold mornings for engine longevity reasons.
I was premature in asking for help. It's not the first time I have ask questions before really exhausting all avenues. I admit that I have gotten accustomed to relatively quick and helpful responses here on this site. Maybe this is a testament to the value of Macon's creation. (And I will say I do enjoy the friendship and "talk". Thanks again
That is what the forum is here for.. Good luck with this cold weather.

your ford probably has the thermostart feature as most did and my new holland still does. there should be a button or turn the key backwards and hold for about 30 seconds until you hear the poof of it lighting off. then crank the engine. should start right up. could be your thermostart has gone bad? they are cheap and easy to replace. my ts100 started the other day at -14f without block heater.

Thanks, grumpity.
I started this thread 8 years ago, right after I bought the tractor. It does not have glow plugs, no backward key movement, nor extra button on the cowling.
It has an enrichment feature on the injector pump, often referred to as an "excess fuel button". After opening the throttle lever about 1/3, you push the button, then hop on the tractor and start it. Once it starts, the button pops back out on its own.

Thanks, grumpity.
I started this thread 8 years ago, right after I bought the tractor. It does not have glow plugs, no backward key movement, nor extra button on the cowling.
It has an enrichment feature on the injector pump, often referred to as an "excess fuel button". After opening the throttle lever about 1/3, you push the button, then hop on the tractor and start it. Once it starts, the button pops back out on its own.
Most 6610"s have the preheater in the intake, does that one not have it?

Thanks, grumpity.
Not grumpity, but I'm pretty grumpy at times.

I don't recall ever seeing a Ford (around here anyways) without the thermostart. It's basically a fuel injector looking contraption located in the intake manifold with a fuel line and single wire hooked to it. All of mine function when you hold the key in the first spring loaded position past "Run" - no extra switches, backward turners or push-ins. Most switches have the following sequence: OFF, (ACC), RUN, HEAT, START. Heat and start are spring loaded positions, and some tractors have the extra ACC position just before the RUN position. Even my 7610 Tobacco Special has the thermostart, and it came from the factory without a block heater.

I own and have had dozens of small Fords thru my shop and have only ever seen 1 with the thermostat option. It was an option and I guess up here the poverty farmers didn't spring for that extra cost back in the day.

first identify if it has a thermostart but in this vid you can clearly see the man engage the thermostart. i just replaced the thermostart on my new holland and it cost less than 20 dollars. look for a single wire plugged into the intake manifold

just for visual reference

Also, you and I had a discussion going about some johnson grass seed, about the time yo slipped off the radar. You still got a contact?

Latest posts