Ford 501 Cutting Height

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
I think our mower is cutting too close to the ground. I'm curious how you guys/gals have your set up. In particular the tilt of the cutter bar. It is about the only adjustment we haven't played with yet. Our's is setting pretty close to parallel to the ground. I'm strongly considering tilting the bar up, meaning put the knife guards higher in the front. In theory grass should fall clear of the bar better. And would leave more stubble. I suppose it could be problematic.

Anyone have their's set up like this?

We have two different length top links. Got a little better this last time by swapping them out. Still wanting a bit more height.

Or am I trying to achieve something that's impossible with our equipment?

Are you talking about a sickle mower? or disc mower?
I always thought a sickle mower left more stubble anyway, but you can lengthen the centerlink and tilt it up.
It keeps it out of the rocks better too.

a 501 is a sickle I beleive.

if so.. best thing is to sell it and get a disc mower.

but yes.. you can tilt it back as much as you want. it'll cut way better tilted. you don't want it level with the ground.

ddd75":4ha4fayq said:

but yes.. you can tilt it back as much as you want. it'll cut way better tilted. you don't want it level with the ground.
Sickle mower works real good for clipping pastures in rocky areas.

Well i have a john deere no9 sickle, i adjust the shoes as high as the'll go and tilt the sickle slightly down, iw will cut way better pointed slightly down than up. ive noticed since i raised the height all the way up im getting 10% more hay a year!! and thats a conservative number!

Tilting the front end up will leave a little longer stubble.I'd set the shoes down as far as they will go,too.

KT is right.Nothing better to clip thistles in rocky pasture (except a hoe).

kenny thomas":3p8imn9b said:
ddd75":3p8imn9b said:

Sickle mower works real good for clipping pastures in rocky areas.

they work pretty good cuttin the creek and pond edges too.

kenny thomas":1dslytc2 said:
They made a wheel to go on the end of the bar called a clipping wheel. Also the shoe at the tractor end will adjust up.

I would like to find the wheel to fit an international 1300 sickle mower.

hurleyjd":2856uzcq said:
kenny thomas":2856uzcq said:
They made a wheel to go on the end of the bar called a clipping wheel. Also the shoe at the tractor end will adjust up.

I would like to find the wheel to fit an international 1300 sickle mower.
One on ebay for $78.75 with free shipping.

Disc mower looks awefully nice. :) Maybe someday...

We have five 501's for parts. A good 6 and a good 7 footer. So qhen we run out of parts we will probably upgrade. Hoping its a ways off.

The way ours is set up currently the bar is perfectly level with the ground. Going down now to tilt her up and see if i can get the shoe adjusted differently.

I had yet to hear of that wheel Kenny. Thanks.

As usual, thanks for the words of wisdom y'all.

When I was using my 501 I adjusted the bar end with the bolts right where it joins at what looks circular, there is 3 bolts on mine. You can tilt it up where it cuts a little higher but if you go too much the clamp on the ball on the end of the sickle will pop off.

I adjusted both shoes all the way up. Which is super nice. Weve been playing hell on knives being that we have been cutting rocks. Haha

I played with the tilt adjustment. I moved the bolts about an inch backwards. After going about 50' i came back to the house and leveled it back out. Was not satisfied.

The new cut height is killer though. No wonder the hayfields have gotten weedy over years past. Scalping the ground isnt the way to go IMO. Just like grazing to the ground...invitation to issues.

Ive been asking the same ? locally since i started this venture, and was told time and again i had to buy a disc mower to achieve higher cut height.

Dont know what id do without yall/CT sometimes. Thanks again.

Latest posts