Ford 5000 electrics problem

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
Got an old Ford 5000 tractor that stopped charging, It had a old rebuilt generator on it, so I replaced it with a new one, still didn't charge, so I got a new regulator, stuck that on and it was back to charging again :) . It worked fine for about a week of feeding hay, probably about only 4 or 5 hours actual run time, then quit again while I was putting out a bale. I'm thinking its the regulator again, but I would like to know what would make it quit so soon. Any ideas. Thanks.

I had what I thought was a bad alternator on a John Deere. When I took the wires off one of the terminals on a wire fell off.

My first thought is to check all the wiring. also check your ground cables to make sure everything is in good shape.

Hope that works.

Question. Do you mean the batteries are good and not charging or staying up?

Also just for kicks, make sure the belt is tight. I just bought 2 new batteries because they were old and would not stay up. Put the new ones in and several days later they were down again. Found the belt was loose on the alternator. :roll:

If its a generator it needs to be polarized.Hopefully someone will explain how to do this.
Alternator just put on and go.

Get a 1 wire alternator and do away with the regulator and generator. You can use A GM alternator and wire external for 1 wire. Much better than a generator.

1982vett":h7rdgif1 said:
I had what I thought was a bad alternator on a John Deere. When I took the wires off one of the terminals on a wire fell off.

My first thought is to check all the wiring. also check your ground cables to make sure everything is in good shape.

Hope that works.

Also just for kicks, make sure the belt is tight. I just bought 2 new batteries because they were old and would not stay up. Put the new ones in and several days later they were down again. Found the belt was loose on the alternator. :roll:

Do you mean the batteries are good and not charging or staying up?
If I charge the battery with the charger, I can get about 10/12 starts out of it on cold days, when the engines cold, before it dies, without pluging in the block heater. So I think the battery good. Of coarse, when it's getting charged while the tractors running, I never have a problem starting it.

I've checked all the wiring, looks good. Checked the fan belt too, its tight. It may just be I got a bad regulator, but I didn't want to spend another $58.00 on another new one, if its only going to last a week because there is some other problem.

Mat Man":1hzseeht said:
If its a generator it needs to be polarized.Hopefully someone will explain how to do this.
Alternator just put on and go.

Tried this on the old one to see if it would help, it didn't. The new one didn't need it, it started charging as soon as the tractor started, when it quit, I tried it, but it made no difference.

hillrancher":dve1srk8 said:
Get a 1 wire alternator and do away with the regulator and generator. You can use A GM alternator and wire external for 1 wire. Much better than a generator.

Will look into this, sounds like a good idea.

Brute 23":2jkx3w59 said:
Ours hasn't worked in years. No guages lights or any thing else. We mounted a $20-12V solar charger to the out side of the barn with cables that run to where we park the tractor. Works like a charm. :lol:

One of our neighbors, a weekender, has a 4ft x 4ft solar panel that runs his hotwater heater, I could steal that sucker, mount on the hood of the tractor, probably charge the battery in a couple of minutes :) He's a federal court judge in DC, so if he caught me with it, I'm sure he would be reeaal lenient about it :)

Latest posts