Ford 4100 fuel injectors

Help Support CattleToday:

Horace Baker

Reaction score
I've got a leaking injector on my 1978 Ford 4100. Should I replace all 3? As far as I know they've never been replaced. I don't have any performance problems, just the leak. The manual says replace them every 600 hours. Why do you need to if the tractor runs OK?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Horace Baker":3qbuke9n said:
I've got a leaking injector on my 1978 Ford 4100. Should I replace all 3? As far as I know they've never been replaced. I don't have any performance problems, just the leak. The manual says replace them every 600 hours. Why do you need to if the tractor runs OK?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Horace, While your doing the job, I'd replace the 3 of them at the same time.If your luck runs like mine, the 2 you dont replace will start leaking.I think Ford prescribed the changing every 600 hrs. as preventative maintainance. I know people that have never changed theirs and not had problems, but it' s gamble.

Ford 3400 with a gazillion hours on the original injectors but if I ever had to replace one I would replace them all.

Is this an external leak? If you are taking one to the shop you might as well take all of them, let the shop test and then decide replace or rebuild.

dj":20nrk731 said:
Is this an external leak? If you are taking one to the shop you might as well take all of them, let the shop test and then decide replace or rebuild.
Yes it is external.

Where is it leaking? On the injector body itself or the return lines between the injectors? Those rubber return lines get cracks quite often.

cfpinz":1j73iyq5 said:
Those rubber return lines get cracks quite often.
That's the first thing I thought of, but no, its on the injector body. I got a good look because I had the radiator out to replace it, and pressure washed the engine.

Have you watched it while it's running? Tried putin a wrench on it? Is it a squirt, a burp, a weep, or a stain? Some times just a little extra tweak with the wrench will stop a fuel leak.

Latest posts