Forage Winter Wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score

My 5 year old Granddaughter went with me checking the winter wheat field after the storms we had the last two nights... Had about a 1/2 inch of rain and some small hail...Not much hail damage apparent, yet anyway... This is the first time we have grown this Willow Creek Forage winter wheat- but boy does it grow...
Now the decision to make is to hay it (the original plan) or wait and harvest (seed wheat been selling for $10 bushel)... A neighbor over east of us has cut his already- and is going to seed the ground back into millet and hopefully get a hay cutting from that...

The last couple of days- I've had a chance to go around the county and area- and I don't think I've seen as many good wheat fields as I'm seeing this year...
Now if that White Reaper will just stay away!

i would not gamble on $10 a bu seed wheat.id do the sure thing an make hay out of it as you had planned.looks like itll make alot of hay.how meny acres do you have of wheat.looks like itll make 6 round bales to the ac or more.

bigbull338":1o8cnuz2 said:
i would not gamble on $10 a bu seed wheat.id do the sure thing an make hay out of it as you had planned.looks like itll make alot of hay.how meny acres do you have of wheat.looks like itll make 6 round bales to the ac or more.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too- as I can always use the hay.. We only have about 30 acres of this forage winter wheat in... Have over a couple hundred acres of spring wheat in- which should make some good straw too... Hay fields and crops are really looking good around here this year... Wheat fields may be the nicest I've seen in years... As long as all these storms don't bring us hail...

Oldtimer":3h9v38xa said:
bigbull338":3h9v38xa said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too- as I can always use the hay.. We only have about 30 acres of this forage winter wheat in... Have over a couple hundred acres of spring wheat in- which should make some good straw too... Hay fields and crops are really looking good around here this year... Wheat fields may be the nicest I've seen in years... As long as all these storms don't bring us hail...

Hail can't hurt it if it's in the bale!

Looks good, but is that a beardless variety? Kind of looks like it from the pics, but hard to tell. Our winter wheat season has been long over. Its dry in the fields now. Due to some bad weather and other unforeseen circumstances I wound up baling late, but I planted a beardless variety this year so harvesting it as grain wasn't an option.

Even if the price per bushel drops I don't see that you will get more for hay than you would for seed / grain. I would definitely consider that option.

3MR":14xjfi8e said:
Looks good, but is that a beardless variety? Kind of looks like it from the pics, but hard to tell. Our winter wheat season has been long over. Its dry in the fields now. Due to some bad weather and other unforeseen circumstances I wound up baling late, but I planted a beardless variety this year so harvesting it as grain wasn't an option.

Even if the price per bushel drops I don't see that you will get more for hay than you would for seed / grain. I would definitely consider that option.

Yep its beardless... This is the first year we've tried it- but my cousin and some neighbors have for the last couple of years and said the cows really go for it if cut at the right time...

Latest posts