forage turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
thinking about planting some forage turnips.

solicit opinions on varieties and results from those that have tried them.

where can seed be bought without going broke?

I have done a good bit of searching on the web this morning.

I tried a 50 lb bag of the forage turnips in 2008 and I was disappointed. Possibly your results will be better than I experienced. My cattle either did not realize they were edible or they did not like them. As the fescue phased out in late Winter the cattle did eat some of the turnips but they never liked the tops. Marshall rye grass would have been a far better investment for me.

I've planted Purple Top for several years. Turnips are about the cheapest seed you can buy. The first year the cows were slow to start eating them, after they got a taste of them, they would not stop. They ate the leaves, then rooted the turnips out. They do a lot better with a little nitrogen fertilizer at planting.

cheapest seed I have found is $2.90 per pound in fifty lb bags not including shipping from Nebraska I think..

i checked at the local feed stores and I sure ain't buying there. they sell em by the ounce.

turnips are an acquired taste but once cows learn they love em. When I was a kid one of my chores was to go to the big garden patch and pull and pitch turnips to the cows. they would come running.

pdfangus":32bfnibr said:
cheapest seed I have found is $2.90 per pound in fifty lb bags not including shipping from Nebraska I think..

i checked at the local feed stores and I sure ain't buying there. they sell em by the ounce.

turnips are an acquired taste but once cows learn they love em. When I was a kid one of my chores was to go to the big garden patch and pull and pitch turnips to the cows. they would come running.
I'm not sure what they run a pound here but you don;t sow much per acre.

we don't have wild hogs here .....yet.

since the big changes in the hog industry a few years back we don't even have many tame hogs now.

birthplace of Virginia country cured ham and Smithfield foods and I do not know a hog farmer today.

cowboy43":wki8k0yc said:
I can just picture the wild hogs rooting them all up.

That is the very reason I quit. I was happy with the results before the hogs got here. No hog sign on the place or on any neighbor's place at the moment. I'd like to keep it that way.

pdfangus":wki8k0yc said:

50 lbs is a whole lot of turnip seed.

backhoeboogie":2c7pj5nn said:
cowboy43":2c7pj5nn said:
I can just picture the wild hogs rooting them all up.

That is the very reason I quit. I was happy with the results before the hogs got here. No hog sign on the place or on any neighbor's place at the moment. I'd like to keep it that way.

pdfangus":2c7pj5nn said:

50 lbs is a whole lot of turnip seed.
I bought something like 5 pounds last summer, drilled 3 1/2 acres and I think I still have half of the seed left.

I drilled those in one fall, did alright. About $150 a 50# bag, enough to do quite a bit of acreage. They are used alot in deer plots.

Sizmic

I planted them before, like other say, real cheap seed. On a good growing conditions they have tremendous yield and you can winter a whole lotta cows on them, I stripped graze mine. Thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread - purple top and Dynamo mixed. In dry cool growing conditions they don't grow at all and you waste your money. I don't do them any more because you really need to use them as a second crop, like following wheat in order to pay off. I plowed up existing pasture during renovation to do it.

I just bought some for our local Pheasants Forever chapter. I just had it delivered so we can make our mix. We do a 5 pound bag for about $15, most places charge $50. The nice thing about doing a mix is you get several different maturity dates and a mixture of brassica. We do the following mix:

Percent Our 2011 Mix lbs ordered from
18 Canola, Winter $3/lb Ernst
13 Brassica, Forage, Rape, Dwarf Essex $1.3/lb Ernst
15 Brassica, Forage Rape, Bonar $2.5/lb Ernst
15 brassica, Forage, Rangi, Brassica $3.2/lb Ernst
15 Kale - ($176/50 lb bag) $3.52/lb Seedland
8 Brassica Forage, Appin Turnip $2.8/lb Ernst
8 Brassica Forage, Pasja Hybrid Turnip $3.5/lb Ernst
8 Brassica Forage, Purple Top Turnip $2.85/lb Ernst

Here are the instructions we give for planting

Pheasants Forever - Brassica Mix

You are receiving a Brassica Mix for a fall planting. This mix is expensive and is one of the better deer food plots available. Below are some instructions that will give you the best results.

Soil Preparation: For best results plant in a well drained soil that receives sun more than 50% of the day. A soil Ph of 6.8 will give best results. Most soils in the county will be fine in Ph.

Planting Instructions: Plant 5 lbs (1 bag) per acre from August 1st to September 7th for a winter and fall food plot. Using too much seed will give poor results. Add 150 lbs of 9-23-30 fertilizer. Plant the seeds in clean soil at a depth of ¼". Here are a couple of options: 1. (Disk, plant, and pack); 2. (Till, plant, and pack); 3. (Round-up, Wait, plant, drag area)

Wildlife Benefits: Leaves don't turn fibrous like many other plants. Deer may not touch the plot until after the first frost. A hard frost sweetens the leaves and makes them more palatable to deer. The leaves remain green throughout the winter and remain upright through the snow. The deer will dig up the fermenting roots, once the leaves are eaten.

Turnips worked well a couple years ago for us. We strip grazed the turnips and fed cornstalk bales. It took almost a week for the cattle to develop a taste for them. The cattle did great on that diet.
One word of caution, I don't know if it was worse to stand in front of a cow when she belched or behind her when she coughed! :lol2:

hayray":a7d5w7n3 said:
In dry cool growing conditions they don't grow at all and you waste your money. I don't do them any more because you really need to use them as a second crop, like following wheat in order to pay off. I plowed up existing pasture during renovation to do it.

Folks who do no crop farming use them to finish lambs here:
1) Work up old sod in later summer.
2) Broadcast plant turnips with a fertilizer buggy.
3) Re plant a new forage stand the following spring.