Forage testing and minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
One of the many things I've picked up on these boards is the three essentials for healthy cattle: roughage, water, and mineral. My question is this: How many of you actually do, or advocate the testing of pasture and hay, then base your mineral supplement off of that analysis? If so, where do you get it done? Any concerns of over-mineraling or interactions?
Thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

John,
Contact your local Cooperative Extension Office for more assistance.
They can probably help you narrow the search for a good mineral down a lot based on experience and knowledge of local conditions. In general yes a good forage analysis, soil sample, and fresh grass analysis can be useful in determining mineral needs. To go one step further and to really nail it down a blood sample may be needed. Like i said though your local extension guys should be able to help you out a lot.

I certainly do test and advocate testing forage and soil. However, I don't customize my minerals to match the forage. I look for any elements that are lacking in the feed and make sure that the mineral mix I am using supplies enough to make up for any shortages. You can get customized minerals but they are expensive and a standard blend will usually work. But then again testing will tell you if you need something that the standard mixes don't have.
Dave

Dave":11o5nofe said:
You can get customized minerals but they are expensive and a standard blend will usually work.

Dave,

The guy I buy from mixes manganese, boron, copper and zinc etc. in for next to nothing. I forget what all the minerals are but there is definately those four. My last buy was 3 tons of 22-10-10 and the trace minerals cost $27. At 300 lbs per acre of fertilizer, 3 tons takes care of 20 acres. So the minerals were a buck fifty per acre. My analysis said I didn't need trace minerals but for $1.50, I add them in. I think that is cheap and do it every year (probably why my analysis comes back the way it does). Zinc causes the roots to go deep. Boron makes them spread etc. I think its a bargain.

He throws all the blend into a hopper and mixes it, then he dumps it in the spreader trailer. In the trailer you can see how well it is all blended. He furnishes the trailers too. I hook on to it, use it, and return it. He shows you how to set everything for your application (how much per acre) and it is pretty simple.

I said in another post that I did exactly as Texas A & M recommended one year when they did the analysis and I shouldn't have. The ole timer who has the fertilizer business knows more. I take my analysis to him and follow his recommendations. He chuckles and I tell him to do what is needed. He knows soil in this area better than anyone, since this is his profession - for years and years.

John in WI":3egz8j60 said:
One of the many things I've picked up on these boards is the three essentials for healthy cattle: roughage, water, and mineral. My question is this: How many of you actually do, or advocate the testing of pasture and hay, then base your mineral supplement off of that analysis? If so, where do you get it done? Any concerns of over-mineraling or interactions?
Thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

I don't know where you are in WI, but in Jefferson County area (SCWI) I couldn't fine minerals for grazing beef cattle. I have to get my minerals when I go to see my family in Louisiana. They are salt controlled for intake therefore the cattle won't eat enough to harm them. I feed them free choice, always available. I know the difference in location may mean I need something different, but it has worked for me over the last several years. My grass analysis showed I had 23% CP and my soil analysis showed my soil to be PH nutural (.7) with good P & H.

I have found that the type of minerals i look for are available as far north as Missouri.

Backhoe,
The question was about mineral supplements for the cows, or at least that is how I read it. I agree that trace minerals for the plants rarely come in standard mix fertilizers and you usually have to ask for them. They are generally overlooked and in some cases very badly needed. Watch out about putting too much boron. Although plants do need it, it can also be toxic to them if in too high of a level.
Dave