Forage tested bull sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Quite a bunch of forage tested and maternal type cattle sales coming even before this one..

11/03/09 Pharo Cattle Company Cheyenne Wells CO
11/12/09 Diamond D Angus Valier MT
11/14/09 Octoraro Angus Breezewood, PA
11/14/09 Whitney Creek Angus Rapelje MT

If I could make it to all (and had pockets full of cash) I'd be like a kid in a candy store...
Going to try hard and make it to the Whitney Creek sale at least-- good cattle...Bad time of the year to try and get away-- with weaning, shipping, brand inspecting and all kinds of things going on-- but I've bought several from Taylor before- and would sure like to get down and see what he has to offer this year...

Looking at some of the genetics those bulls are out of, and their frame scores, the word "stunted" comes to mind. Might go though, only live about 25 miles from there. Well.. maybe not.

Frankie":1cvy4prb said:
For those who might be interested in buying forage tested bulls, here's a sale coming up in December:

http://www.brubakersales.com/LakotaCataloglr.pdf

Frankie I have nothing against the concept of "Forage tested" but looking at that lineup I am left wanting.

When I see Bulls like SAV Final Answer and others with that kind of muscle and guts I get excited. Not by those scarecrows.

Unique sale. I like the concept and if it were closer to me I would definitely go to check it out. I don't know about somebody in some other part of the county; BUT here, if I unloaded a load of 8 month old (old enough that the buyers could easily recognize what they were) frame 0 calves at the sale barn I would get HAMMERED by the buyers.

Oldtimer":3jpgd1kn said:
Quite a bunch of forage tested and maternal type cattle sales coming even before this one..

If I could make it to all (and had pockets full of cash) I'd be like a kid in a candy store...
Going to try hard and make it to the Whitney Creek sale at least-- good cattle...Bad time of the year to try and get away-- with weaning, shipping, brand inspecting and all kinds of things going on-- but I've bought several from Taylor before- and would sure like to get down and see what he has to offer this year...

I see that Diamond D and Octoraro are also involved with this Tallgrass Beef program. Are Pharo and Whitney Creek part of that group, too?

3waycross":1kxbla7z said:
Frankie":1kxbla7z said:
For those who might be interested in buying forage tested bulls, here's a sale coming up in December:

http://www.brubakersales.com/LakotaCataloglr.pdf

Frankie I have nothing against the concept of "Forage tested" but looking at that lineup I am left wanting.

When I see Bulls like SAV Final Answer and others with that kind of muscle and guts I get excited. Not by those scarecrows.

It's a different mindset, for sure.

I just wonder how they can afford to sell two year old bulls. Wish I could get to the sale and see the prices. Yes, I know they're not being fed for that two years, but there's still a cost for keeping a bull around for that long.

And with a Hollywood legend running Tallgrass, how can they miss?

Frankie I went to their website and for the life of em I can't figure out who their house celebrity is. :help:

I suppose it doesn't matter Actors are never wrong just ask one. Whaddya say we start with that little commie sean penn and work up from there. :mad:

Seriously if it sells more beef I am all for it, as with most things you just have to take time to separate the BS from the Beef :lol2:

3waycross":r72qiro0 said:
Frankie I went to their website and for the life of em I can't figure out who their house celebrity is. :help:

I suppose it doesn't matter Actors are never wrong just ask one. Whaddya say we start with that little commie sean penn and work up from there. :mad:

Seriously if it sells more beef I am all for it, as with most things you just have to take time to separate the BS from the Beef :lol2:

I never said "actor." Bill Kurtis founded Tallgrass Beef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Kurtis

As for that "commie sean penn", one of the greatest things about this country: If you want to join the Communist, Republican, American Independent, Libertarian, Democratic, or a number of other political parties, you have the right to do so. :D

And I agree: if Tallgrass sells more beef, it's a good thing for all of us.

As for that "commie sean penn", one of the greatest things about this country: If you want to join the Communist, Republican, American Independent, Libertarian, Democratic, or a number of other political parties, you have the right to do so. :D

You can also holler fire in a crowded theater. It does not make you a good guy. Sean Penn has used his celebrity to travel around the world denigrating the United States.He's a POS I don't care what party he belongs to. :D

Frankie":2l7zljtu said:
Oldtimer":2l7zljtu said:

I see that Diamond D and Octoraro are also involved with this Tallgrass Beef program. Are Pharo and Whitney Creek part of that group, too?

Frankie- not sure about Pharo-- but Whitney Creek is...
I'm not so concerned about the programs- what I am looking for is the maternal qualitites and ability to thrive in this shortgrass Great American Desert with low input-- and so far I'm sure happy with the Ohlde, Cole Creek, Whitney Creek and Wye type cattle...

As for that "commie sean penn", one of the greatest things about this country: If you want to join the Communist, Republican, American Independent, Libertarian, Democratic, or a number of other political parties, you have the right to do so.

And that right was not granted by a "communist"

Frankie":x9cm5iac said:
I just wonder how they can afford to sell two year old bulls. Wish I could get to the sale and see the prices. Yes, I know they're not being fed for that two years, but there's still a cost for keeping a bull around for that long.

You'd be surprised. "but there's still a cost for keeping a bull around for that long." that cost is minuscule compared to the way alot of them do it. Hey - let's put on a cowboy hat and calve in January and fill the creep feeders with bull challenger and let those bulls eat all they want for 6 months... man those are good bulls.

Hereford76":3cxronzb said:
Frankie":3cxronzb said:

You'd be surprised. "but there's still a cost for keeping a bull around for that long." that cost is minuscule compared to the way alot of them do it. Hey - let's put on a cowboy hat and calve in January and fill the creep feeders with bull challenger and let those bulls eat all they want for 6 months... man those are good bulls.

Land cost is the killer. If you can run 'em on cheap land for that extra year the two's can work.

alexfarms":2dpaaarw said:
Hereford76":2dpaaarw said:
Frankie":2dpaaarw said:

Land cost is the killer. If you can run 'em on cheap land for that extra year the two's can work.

I think if you check into it closely, few if any are finishing calves or bulls on cheap land. Most of them are grazing wheat, oats, or improved grasses of some sort. But whatever the land costs, I'd still question if it's profitable instead of adding another cow or two to the herd.

Hereford76":1zfv2pxw said:
Frankie":1zfv2pxw said:

that cost is minuscule

Big claim. Let's see the actual figures. Yes, it costs us about $500 to finish a bull on test (depending on feed costs), but he's ready to go to work at 14-16 months of age. Money is in the bank account, he's off the feed bill, and he's out working and improving somebody's cow herd. I'm not beating forage testing/finishing up, if you have some actual experience/figures, I'd be glad to see them.

Frankie":o0nbeys1 said:
Hereford76":o0nbeys1 said:
Frankie":o0nbeys1 said:

that cost is minuscule

Big claim. Let's see the actual figures. Yes, it costs us about $500 to finish a bull on test (depending on feed costs), but he's ready to go to work at 14-16 months of age. Money is in the bank account, he's off the feed bill, and he's out working and improving somebody's cow herd. I'm not beating forage testing/finishing up, if you have some actual experience/figures, I'd be glad to see them.

I have forage raised bulls that were born the end of Feb/first part of March- were with the cows June 1st....Whats that 15 months old ?....They easily weighed 950-1050 lbs at 12 months- maybe a 100 lbs more at turn out time the 1st part of June- and went to work- rather than laying around melting down from being butcher fat.... And they gained all summer...Then come back the next year after being fed grass and hay only- and test good and go back to work....And again the next year without their livers going bad from being fed high grain/protein test ration.....
Bulls weren't meant to be hog fattened- and then told to go breed a cow... (If you want to test something- go test a pen of their steer calves....) Especially in country where grass is at a premium- and the butcher fat grain fed bulls just melt away....
And part of their job is still to go out and sire calves that will wean off at 50% of their dams weight-- out of heifers that only see any grain/supplement for maybe 2-3 weeks while they are being weaned ( and that is mainly so they calm down and get used to me- by walking thru them handcarrying/bucketing pellets/grain/screenings/whatever to them)...After that- they get to join the "real world" of pasture and rolled out hay bales with the rest the cows- and learn to survive...(After years of feeding heifers separate- I had to turn the heifers out one year when the snow was so deep I couldn't get hay to them anymore-- and I really think they "socialize and adapt" better back with the main herd- when stuck right back in with them..) And they breed up great when they hit green grass and are gaining...
Just my IMHO....

Latest posts