Forage Teff grass

Help Support CattleToday:

AKE

Reaction score
Bought some forage Teff grass for 5 acres. Think im gonna mix it in the fertilizer and half rate the fertilizer to double spread it. Just curious if anyone has broadcast any Teff before instead of using a brillion seeder.

AKE":j3fyaugv said:
Bought some forage Teff grass for 5 acres. Think im gonna mix it in the fertilizer and half rate the fertilizer to double spread it. Just curious if anyone has broadcast any Teff before instead of using a brillion seeder.

Yes I have works good but you really need to roll it in, what ever you do don't get it over 1/4" deep, firm seed bed works best.

I have planted it before. The seed is very small. I broadcasted it with a old cone spreader and didn't even have to open the gate on the bottom the seed came out the small cracks. After I spread the seed I ran a culitpacker over it. Teff makes good hay just make sure you cut it right when it starts to seed out. If you wait to long it really takes time for it to start growing back. I got 3 cutting from mine but if I could have mowed the first cutting about 2 weeks sooner I would have got 4.

I'm always looking for something new and better. Looked at Teff a couple of years ago and decided against it. As I remember planting problems and high cost were right up there at the top.....too expensive to make a mistake in application. I have a cone spreader, JD double disc drill, flexible spike tooth harrow, and roller, so it wasn't because I didn't have the equipment. I was planning on mixing it with a carrier seed to get it started, something cheap that would die out quickly....like rye planted in the spring.

Well worked the ground and double spread it about dark with some urea. Was going to run cultipacker over the next morning but our zero percent chance of rain turned into 7 tenths of rain overnight. Let's hope it comes up.

I've broadcasted Teff before. Worked fine, as others mentioned do not plant deep. We tilled, spread and just rolled it.

Got pretty lucky since I just mixed with urea and broadcast it. Like I said it got 7 tenths of rain that night then two days later a couple tenths. Lucky it did cause it got hot for a week after that before we got a little more rain on it. Few thinner spots but that is alright I am pleased for not getting the chance to pack it

Latest posts