Forage ID

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I reseeded a killed 45 acre field last fall, used one bag of this particular mix for every two bags of straight orchard grass as recommended by the co-op. The mix has roughly 33% OG, 25% festolium, 10% Alfalfa, 10% perennial ryegrass, 10% timothy and 3% ladino clover. I rounded so the %'s might not add up. So when considering the 2/3 OG ratio, the total % for the field is roughly 75% OG and the others are divided by 3. The field is pretty thick with one type of grass that I'm not familiar with, I've included the pics below. I can see some OG, (not much % wise), along with some alfalfa and a touch of clover. Is the forage in the pic festolium or ryegrass, and if so, is it normal to be such a large percentage of the population considering the relatively low % seeding rates? Any experience or comments on the longevity, management variations from normal OG/KY31?

Any advice is appreciated.

hayandpenelope007.jpg

hayandpenelope005.jpg

Not suree what festolium seed heads look like, but that looks like our rye to me.

Yes that would be ryegrass I believe. I dont know how you got all of it if such low percent. I figure you had a wet spring like almost everyone else in Southeast that the orchard grass would flourish. We had a fescue field about 5 acres and the orchard grass completely choked out all the fescue this year. Made some very good hay though. :D

Is the festolium a cross between rye and fecue?
Somebody told me that so i wondered what the seed head looked like on it.

tom4018":c0t2wyad said:
Is the festolium a cross between rye and fecue?
Somebody told me that so i wondered what the seed head looked like on it.

That's what I've been reading but I can't find a good pic of festolium online, some places say it's characteristics depend on which parent species it takes after. I just hope this stuff hasn't choked out the OG.

I've already cut 20 acres or so, nice looking rolls but it takes a day or so longer to dry than normal.

do you know the names of the species you had in your mix? my guess is this is mostly festulolium. festulolium has awns similar to annual ryegrass whereas the perennial ryegrass does not. ryegrass and festuloliums establish and grow so fast that they out compete with other species in the first couple of years. don't worry... your orchardgrass should shine this summer when the festuloliums and ryegrass slow down.

tom4018":2j9dsxm8 said:
Is the festolium a cross between rye and fescue?

Yes it is.
Vigorous also - - kind of the bwf of the grass world. Problem is it only lasts for one to 2 winters in this area.
I have seeded festolium, fescue and clover together. Mostly festolium the first two years, then mostly fescue until it was damaged by an open winter, then almost solid clover...

western":37j794uo said:
do you know the names of the species you had in your mix? my guess is this is mostly festulolium. festulolium has awns similar to annual ryegrass whereas the perennial ryegrass does not. ryegrass and festuloliums establish and grow so fast that they out compete with other species in the first couple of years. don't worry... your orchardgrass should shine this summer when the festuloliums and ryegrass slow down.

Thanks, that's encouraging. The OG in this particular mix is Tekapo, the festolium is Duo, ryegrass is Tonga, timothy is Tuukka. One of the other OG's that I mixed in was Tekapo and I can't remember the other name to save my life tonight.

Tekapo is a prostrate growing Orchard Grass variety. You may well find it hiding down under the canopy of the taller grasses.

Steve,

have you used Tekapo? if so what are your thoughts on it? i'm looking for a grazing orchardgrass.

Latest posts