Forage finished show heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
This two heifers will be shown in February, the one on the left in the 18-21 month class and the one on the right in the 21-24 month class. They were shown as yearlings in the spring and since then they've had 6 weeks on the veld and after that they've cleaned up the pastures after the cows with calves with the rest of the replacements. The last 6 weeks they've been on good pasture and got a few flakes of alfalfa hay every day, no grain at all since their last show 2 October.

The photo is about two weeks old, they are a little fatter now. Comments welcome, I have pretty thick skin, there are a few things I'd like to change on both of them if that was possible.
100_5269.jpg

I look forward to you posting pictures.. it seems that you have a truely great set of hereford cattle.. keep it up. :clap:

Knersie,

They look good. It looks like they have been gaining well. I beleive that good cattle should be able to fles up on good quality grass.

I see the one has some white on her back. Is that frowned upon in SA or do most look at the physical attributes. Also are most show cattle grass fed or is that just your program and how well do you do at the shows. Just trying to get an idea of the cattle in SA as they are compared to what I know about yours.

those are 2 fine looking heifers.an they are fat an sassy to boot.what i want to is how do you get them to eat hay with that green grass.

KNERSIE. You got heifers there to be proud of. Looks like they are breed about 6 months?
I know cattle on the best hay will like a little grass and those on the best grass will like a bit of hay, they love the variety. Seems like cattle that have most of their frame size do real well on good grass.

Those are some fine looking heifers. Anyone who says any different is just nit-picking.

Well, it seems like no one wants to test that thick skin of yours, :lol: kind of feels like I'm in school again, and the teacher just handed out a test. Hopefully I'll get a better grade than I got in school, nah, probably not. :)
Cow on the left has good depth of rib and looks to be quite thick through the loin and top, but I'd like to see a little more shape through the top of her ribs, make her rib look a little more barrel like. Cow on the right may have a slightly better top line, may also have a better shaped rib, [a little hard to really tell because the way the light shines on her] but could use a little more depth of rib just behind the shoulder, shoulder may also be a little straight, and she's not quite as thick through the loin as the cow on the left. One on the right stands on a little better running gear, and probably is a little straighter moving because of it, judging by the way they're standing in the picture. Both seem to have nice rear ends and a good amount of bone.

Cow on the left has good depth of rib and looks to be quite thick through the loin and top, but I'd like to see a little more shape through the top of her ribs, make her rib look a little more barrel like. Cow on the right may have a slightly better top line, may also have a better shaped rib, [a little hard to really tell because the way the light shines on her] but could use a little more depth of rib just behind the shoulder, shoulder may also be a little straight, and she's not quite as thick through the loin as the cow on the left. One on the right stands on a little better running gear, and probably is a little straighter moving because of it, judging by the way they're standing in the picture. Both seem to have nice rear ends and a good amount of bone.

Pretty good analysis from the pics, the one on the left could have been slightly stronger over the top although her topline is very good, her spring of rib is good, but not as good as the one on the right who is outstanding in this department.

The one on the right hasn't got the best tailset, but is otherwise vey sound. The one on the left's rear feet could have been lightly better and she is a touch open shouldered. They both could have had better coats although the one on the right is certainly the better one and both have more bone than the average for my herd

Looks like they are breed about 6 months?

Not quite they are due early June

what i want to is how do you get them to eat hay with that green grass.

Alfalfa is more palatable than kikuyu and like Mnmt said they like variety just like we do (although I'll never get fed up with steak and chips)

I
see the one has some white on her back. Is that frowned upon in SA or do most look at the physical attributes. Also are most show cattle grass fed or is that just your program and how well do you do at the shows.

We focus more on the important traits and less on olden day whims, she has just a small stripe on her back, but most of my cattle have more white than the typical USA herefords nowadays. No typically show cattle go on a grain based ration (in my part of the country mostly barley or triticale or even oats) for about 3 months prior to a show. These heifers were already fat in October and overfat heifers are really discriminated against here so I had the luxury of sitting back to wait and see how much and when I should start feeding. They are still pasture cattle and don't spend their days in a barn. I compete well at shows, especially in the younger bull classes. We have big breeders similar to your Starlake who typically dominate the shows and have big showstrings who do spend their nights inside. After the two big outfits, who breeds a completely different type anyway, I'll say I am very competitive, but showing is a neccesary evil for me rather than a hobby

These heifers were already fat in October and overfat heifers are really discriminated against here so I had the luxury of sitting back to wait and see how much and when I should start feeding. They are still pasture cattle and don't spend their days in a barn. I compete well at shows, especially in the younger bull classes. We have big breeders similar to your Starlake who typically dominate the shows and have big showstrings who do spend their nights inside. After the two big outfits, who breeds a completely different type anyway, I'll say I am very competitive, but showing is a neccesary evil for me rather than a hobby
Knersie -
Very nice heifers. No matter how good they are, we can always find SOMETHING we "wish" we could change. None of them are PERFECT. You just try to exhibit the ones that most fit that "perfect" image.
In my situation, we calve out our heifers at 21-25 months of age.
Typically, our last show would be in October, so a bred yearling would be put out with her contemporaries & raised on baleage thru the winter. Calve out, kept on baleage nursing her calf, than out on grass. Our typical first show would be in July, so if we were going to show her as a c/c pair, we would probably pull her in off pasture late May, and get her started on grain & halter break calf.
So --- I would expect them to be in great shape right now, especially since you say they were fat in October (and it is your summer - sigh!). You did the right thing, taking them off grain. If they don't need it for BCS, than why waste your time & money.
Some farms keep their cattle on grain year round.
And, like you, we show out of neccessity also. It is the cheapest way for us to advertise our farm, and winning always helps get that higher dollar. We specialize in show quality genetics that work in a commercial environment.

Wow, another pic of your cattle that just leaves me wondering how far do I have to go? Very nice looking heifers, I wish I could get one with that thick (deep) of a hip, Very, very nice all around.

Thanks for sharing,
Alan

These heifers were already fat in October and overfat heifers are really discriminated against here so I had the luxury of sitting back to wait and see how much and when I should start feeding.
I wish that was the case here. They can't seem to get them fat enough here. Last year at the state fair I think the winning heifers were fatter than alot of the steers. But its not even just the bred heifers anymore. The calf sales in the fall have them very fat too.

Angus Cowman":2peqsjq8 said:
brandonm_13":2peqsjq8 said:
Very nice. I don't know what it is but there's something special about a good looking hereford.
it is because you rarely see one :lol:

Almost as rare as an Angus with a rear end that contains actual muscle :shock: :shock: :shock: :nod:

3waycross":2c28rtja said:
Angus Cowman":2c28rtja said:
brandonm_13":2c28rtja said:
Very nice. I don't know what it is but there's something special about a good looking hereford.
it is because you rarely see one :lol:

Almost as rare as an Angus with a rear end that contains actual muscle :shock: :shock: :shock: :nod:
Now boys, be nice. If you want to fight go back to the red baldy thread and do it there. :cry2:

We all have our breed preferences but appreciating a good heifer is a colorblind exercise for me. Have always enjoyed you pics Knersie.

Latest posts