For your perusal... more pics added

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

cyto1.JPG

17.JPG

Comments welcome.

Keren I'll disagree with you on this one.
This bull has been on feed half as long as the red one and also covered heifers at the end of last year. Only just hitting his straps now, unfortunately too late though.

he just seems a bit longer in the leg and shorter in the body to me, compared with the red guy
idunno.gif

but I generally tend to agree with you so maybe if I saw them in person I'd like the roanie boy better too :D

I can see how he'd probably mature out a better bull than the red ...

I'm thinking I'd keep more heifers off of this bull than the red one. Probably earn more market dollars off of the red one.

Keren":120g1dnp said:
he just seems a bit longer in the leg and shorter in the body to me, compared with the red guy
idunno.gif

but I generally tend to agree with you so maybe if I saw them in person I'd like the roanie boy better too :D

I can see how he'd probably mature out a better bull than the red ...

I have to admit, just looking at the pics of them I would probably (maybe) go for the red at this point in time.
But, looking at the potential of the bulls long term, and knowing the genetics behind them, and the head start that the red one has had on the roan (and also that the red is about six months older), I can't go past this bull for stud material.

(And I may also be a little attached to him for sentimental reasons :oops: )

Bull's mother

Just rising 2 here (yes she calved at 15months- an accident of course!)
65.jpg

3-and-a-half years old- the calves are about 3-months, she was feeding them as well as providing the milk for everybody's morning cereal and drinks at this show!!
LadyDi-2.JPG

WOW!!!
You really have some beautiful cattle! Everyday must be a great day when you can look over your farm and see a field full of Shorthorns,and great ones at that.

She's not bad is she. I call her Ugly (for her big white head), which always annoyed my partner!!
But she is one hell of a huge cow, too big for ideal, but bred to the right bulls has some fantastic progeny. I admit she has grown on me over time. Have to give her credit though, to be as big as she is, hold her condition, and raise a good calf every year. Her weaner heifer is a cracker- the spitting image of her.
Full brother to this roan bull (a red one but, and smaller frame with one hell of a carcase) was reserve champ at Dubbo in 07.

yeah the mouldy heads not real pretty is it lol

I gotta say, we've got a MG cow similar to her, huge arse cow, way bigger than what we are ideally aiming for, but she's structurally correct and all that jazz, other than the frame is almost perfect in my eye, and she is as easy keeping as our smaller ones, and raises a great big thumping calf PLUS fosters other as well. Cant fault em if thats the case :D

What were the twins sex-wise? How did they grow out? She's got a fantastic udder

Unfortunately the twins were boy/girl, and the first heifer had a mishap (such a shame, very good for an 'accident'!).
Since then she has had all bulls, except for one heifer (very good too) which got its head stuck in a tree and died :roll: and last year's heifer which is shaping up quite nicely, as I said, the spitting image of mum.
As a rising 8-year-old, her udder is as good now as in these pics.
As I said, her only fault in my eyes is size but when she handles herself as well as she does, and doesn't require any extra feed, well, she's pretty good.
Even if she is Ugly :eek: :p

I'm looking forward to when the bull finally fills out. It was a shame we used him as it put him so far behind the 8-ball but will be good to get some calves by him. I have every confidence in him and his potential, no matter what anybody else says!!

isnt that always the way? :roll:

Its always a juggle with good bulls you want to show a bit but want to use as well, we tend to show them all the way through as juniors, then turn them out for a joining period, and bring them back as seniors at the top of the age limit.

That's why he hasn't been shown, we're waiting for him to fill out now.

It was a tough call to make- heap of heifers needed to be joined, one of the bulls was injured, the other was the sire of half of them, and this bull was one of the top young bulls we had to choose from. Poor bugger was pulled out of the bull mob, no extra preparation or anything, and chucked out with the girls!

After the sh!tty seasons we've had down south (you'd understand Keren!) he hadn't had much tucker either before or during, and was only put on a ration when he came back home. He's getting there, but he's had a few setbacks along the way- including getting quite sick, we never worked out what was wrong exactly, but it didn't help him any- he lost about 100kgs.
So, I think he's doing quite well given all that! But then, I'm biased (yes, I can admit it).

Latest posts