For you northern folks... How do you do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Find what pocket you put your keys in that is. Its been cold here today. Got down to 48 and its supposed to get down to the low 20's tonight. With all these pockets I can't seem to find a dang thing. I just don't understand how ya'll do it.

Makes me think cow methane could be marketed for heat...instead of us getting charged a tax, we just charge the public a tax through the methane.

Why don't everybody build gas collectors and throw the manure in them, collect the gas, then store it and sell it. The government could subsidize it like everything else, problem solved. :lol2:

We just go through each pocket until we find what we need and hope there is no hole in the pocket we put the stuff in. ;-)

Jogeephus":1e757mxj said:
Find what pocket you put your keys in that is. Its been cold here today. Got down to 48 and its supposed to get down to the low 20's tonight. With all these pockets I can't seem to find a dang thing. I just don't understand how ya'll do it.

I know what you mean Jogee, the hats and gloves and rubber boots and coveralls and jackets, it's enough to wear a fat old man out before he starts :D . When I was young I remember all the old men cussin their rubber boots, now I know why .

Hauled manure all day today, by tommorrow it will be too frozen to haul . About 4 below here now .I reckon it's hard to tell which is the hardier breed, the folks that survive this or, the ones that survive that heat that y'all have in the summer . I guess you just have to pick your misery .

Larry

It's absolutely ridiculous here these days. I'm from Saskatchewan and last night we hit -45C without the wind and with the wind it was -58C. And sure enough one of my cows has to have an early calf that night too, they seem to have perfect timing. Poor little guy had to spend his first night in the calf warmer. Too bad there wasn't enough room for me in there :)

What I can't believe is how much stuff I carry around with me in my pockets. Coat goes to the wash I spend an hour digging out a big pile of stuff from my feed coat. No wonder my winter feed cloting puts an extra 18 pounds on to me. :shock:

Jogeephus":g23q2xt4 said:

Well I for one leave the keys in the vehicles at all times.

It's all about getting acclimated to the weather. Can you even imagine how hard it would be for most of us northerners to get used to your summer heat? :nod:

Victoria":g23q2xt4 said:
What I can't believe is how much stuff I carry around with me in my pockets. Coat goes to the wash I spend an hour digging out a big pile of stuff from my feed coat. No wonder my winter feed cloting puts an extra 18 pounds on to me. :shock:

Victoria, I NEVER wash my winter barn coat, it would fall apart I'm thinking. Oh and mine adds about the same 18 lbs too! :help:

Checked my coat after reading. Had fence insulators, steeples, grass string, bander, bands in a pill bottle flashlight, needles, seringes(sp), and of course gloves and ear muffs. Coat has not been washed in a long time and like MM said it would probably fall apart.

And another thing, when you need to, uh, "make water", plan ahead, don't wait until you REALLY need to. Several layers to dig through can really have you hopping.
Sunny and 9F here as I type. Nice winter day.

In this weather I carry 2 sets, stop in town the engine runs while I do errands the other set is to unlock. Been more then a time or two I've found the spare set in the last pocket checked.

I am the same ,always leave keys in everything from tractors, skid steer and pickup. I usually don't lock my vehicle unless I am in the city and then I have a spare key on my purse. I usually don't lock the house either, maybe I am to trusting but hey if you want it take it ,if you can get by Bo then you deserve what ever you can get.. :lol2:

Jo you have no idea how long it takes us just to dress to go out each day. By the time you have put on your 50 layers of clothes we are exhausted. I think that fact alone should bring our calves an extra 10 cents a pound.. :p

The all time favorite is pulling a calf in -40 weather and the chains /puller freezes to your hands and the calves legs. :help: Yep nothing but fun, fun, fun... :cowboy:

john250 wrote:
when you need to, uh, "make water", plan ahead
LMAO :clap:

Ah, yes, the "making water". I hear a friend once refer to it as 2 by 4 weather. When you have 2 inches of who who and 4 inches of clothing.
But Jo, you said it was 48 degrees. That is darn near tee shirt weather. A coat may not be required if you are working or not standing around for long periods.

john250":3q0p8bqp said:
And another thing, when you need to, uh, "make water", plan ahead, don't wait until you REALLY need to. Several layers to dig through can really have you hopping.
Sunny and 9F here as I type. Nice winter day.

That's more than I really needed to know, but thanks for the tip.

I did have a similar experience once when my son was 7 and wearing his mummy costume at Halloween.

Latest posts