For you northern folks... How do you do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keys stay in the vehicles, pocket knife in the right hand pocket, phone in left bib pocket, (cigs used to be in the right bib pocket, I still miss them),....use the same pocket for stuff then you don't have to do the "shuffle" looking for it. Layer clothes until you are on verge of not being able to bend, then on with the bibs and coat. Couldn't manage without my insulated bibs and boot dryer but all is good with them....

CKC1586":1zu82fj4 said:
Keys stay in the vehicles, pocket knife in the right hand pocket, phone in left bib pocket, (cigs used to be in the right bib pocket, I still miss them),....use the same pocket for stuff then you don't have to do the "shuffle" looking for it. Layer clothes until you are on verge of not being able to bend, then on with the bibs and coat. Couldn't manage without my insulated bibs and boot dryer but all is good with them....

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm going to have devise one myself. I guess to me all these extra pockets is about like a cow in a fresh new pasture. I feel I got to use them if I got them. Had a terrible time at the counter trying to dig out my wallet that was in my jeans underneath my coveralls. :oops:

Have one of those elastic bracelet key chains (looks like a phone cord), keep all the gate, hydrant and chicken coup on it..car keys always in pant pocket..jacket pockets hold tooo much stuff. Also always carry a small propane tank (self striking start is nice) to unfreeze locks and hydrants, also heats up equipment when necessary. And also as stated before always be prepared to make water :lol:

Edited to add...after 2 days of -0 temps and -10 to -20 with windchill...we are having a heat wave tomorrow, the forcast is 43!!!!! maybe I won't wear my long underware :lol:

Victoria":1aehom9y said:
What I can't believe is how much stuff I carry around with me in my pockets. Coat goes to the wash I spend an hour digging out a big pile of stuff from my feed coat. No wonder my winter feed cloting puts an extra 18 pounds on to me. :shock:

that's how hubby knows whose jacket is whose. By the stuff in the pocket. His are empty and mine stuffed full with all kinds of treasures

Winter must be miserable in the cold parts of the US and Canada. You would have to be very organised before winter with enough cattle feed,supplies etc for the humans as well as the animals. I realise its not bad all the time. here in my part of Australia we need feed through the winter but if we run out we only have to go about 50 miles to get more hay. We aren't blocked by drifts of snow etc.
Keep warm won't be long till Spring.

Jogeephus":29cgyfpz said:
Find what pocket you put your keys in that is. Its been cold here today. Got down to 48 and its supposed to get down to the low 20's tonight. With all these pockets I can't seem to find a dang thing. I just don't understand how ya'll do it.
I am with hd. I have never lived in a house with locks let alone keys.

Yesterday was -34 or something obscene like that. I went to the grocery store and there were at least 20 vehicles sitting in the parking lot ~ every one of them was running. I had a meeting with someone and after about 45 minutes I mentioned that my dog was waiting in the car for me. She suggested I hurry because it was dangerously cold, and my dog is already too cold maybe. I said "The car is running, the radio is on, the heater is on. She has my cell phone if she needs to call for help, and she has my cigarettes. She will be fine."

Anyhow, the cool thing about pockets ~ I love when I put on a winter jacket for the first time of the season and I am fishing through the pockets for matches and find $5 I didn't know I had, stuck in there end of last season. Then the dog and I head to the Dairy Queen! :nod:

I too am amazed how our brave friends in the North tolerate those ridiculous winter temperatures. Just thinking about the preparations to take on the outdoors in those temperatures makes me tired. I carry as many things in my overalls as space will allow. It doesn't seem to matter however, the one thing I need is invariably somewhere else. Leaving the truck running while I feed worked out well until my Border Collie hit the luck button for the doors and I found myself having to walk two miles for another truck key. I was not a happy camper that day, but the dog and I both survived. I am almost embarrassed to complain about cold weather in Arkansas, you guys in the real North are the heroes.

Was 51 today in town. Went to the Ag show and was walking around in a T-shirt and with my coat over my shoulder outside while alot of other people were still wearing their coats. Boy was it nice in the sunshine.
Sorry Jo it was such a nice day and tomorrow is supose to be warmer. Predicting records to break. Forcasting 61. :D

angie":3mkg2380 said:
Jogeephus":3mkg2380 said:
Find what pocket you put your keys in that is. Its been cold here today. Got down to 48 and its supposed to get down to the low 20's tonight. With all these pockets I can't seem to find a dang thing. I just don't understand how ya'll do it.
I am with hd. I have never lived in a house with locks let alone keys.

Yesterday was -34 or something obscene like that. I went to the grocery store and there were at least 20 vehicles sitting in the parking lot ~ every one of them was running. I had a meeting with someone and after about 45 minutes I mentioned that my dog was waiting in the car for me. She suggested I hurry because it was dangerously cold, and my dog is already too cold maybe. I said "The car is running, the radio is on, the heater is on. She has my cell phone if she needs to call for help, and she has my cigarettes. She will be fine."

Anyhow, the cool thing about pockets ~ I love when I put on a winter jacket for the first time of the season and I am fishing through the pockets for matches and find $5 I didn't know I had, stuck in there end of last season. Then the dog and I head to the Dairy Queen! :nod:
the part about the money sounds like my wife she is always finding money in coat pockets and jeans pockets
this week she had lost her knife and was using mine to cut the hay well yesterday she put on her other coat and lo and behold there was her knife

That sounds like me. I try to make a mental note which pocket I put my knife in or my radio in. Try to stick it in a place I won't forget. Then I forget. I guess I'm getting old or something or there are just too many choices to chose from.

Jogeephus":2k7b57g4 said:
That sounds like me. I try to make a mental note which pocket I put my knife in or my radio in. Try to stick it in a place I won't forget. Then I forget. I guess I'm getting old or something or there are just too many choices to chose from.
A couple of yrs ago I went to carrying a knife with the clip on it so I can clip it on my jeans pocket and I love them only ones I could find were kershaw or gerber but case has a good one out now

It is great you never have to dig for it and if your hand are greasy makes things alot easier also they have the thumb button on the blade so they are easy to open

Angus Cowman":1rcdlxck said:
Jogeephus":1rcdlxck said:
A couple of yrs ago I went to carrying a knife with the clip on it so I can clip it on my jeans pocket and I love them only ones I could find were kershaw or gerber but case has a good one out now

It is great you never have to dig for it and if your hand are greasy makes things alot easier also they have the thumb button on the blade so they are easy to open

Look at the Benchmade or the Blackie Collins knives. They have clips, good steel and they come in automatic stiletto or switch blade action. I got a few of these and like them. I also just bought a 12 piece razor set of knives at Home Depot for like 28 bucks. At that price, even I can afford to lose them.

It is a must to have more than one knife around especially if someone helps to feed. Hubby usually gets a phone call from me when he goes back to work asking if he still has my knife..Now I try to remember to grab it from him each time after he helps feed.. :)

BTW, plus 12c here today, that is around 52 f..The twins have no clue that they were born in winter yet..Heat wave ends this Wed. and back into the deep freeze we go again..Figures ,as that is when the AI due dates are.. :help:

But I am loving this weather while it lasts..Yippee, can't wait for spring ... :banana:

Latest posts