>> > feed our cows any part of another cow. South
>> > Americans are not required to
>> > do this as of yet. McDonald's has announced that
>> > they are going to start
>> > importing much of their beef from South America. The
>> > problem is that South
>> > Americans aren't under the same regulations as
>> > American beef producers, and
>> > the regulations they have are loosely controlled.
>> >
>> > They can spray numerous pesticides on their
>> > pastures that have been
>> > banned here at home because of residues found in the
>> > beef. They can also
>> > use
>> > various hormones and growth regulators that we
>> > can't. The American public
>> > needs to be aware of this problem and that they may
>> > be putting themselves
>> > at
>> > risk from now on by eating at good old McDonald's.
>> >
>> > American ranchers raise the highest quality
> > >beef in the world and
> > >this
> > >is what Americans deserve to eat. Not beef from
> > >countries where quality is
>> > loosely controlled. Therefore, I am proposing a
>> > boycott of McDonald's until
>> > they see the light.
>> >
>> > I'm sorry but everything is not always about
>> > the bottom line, and
>> > when
>> > it comes to jeopardizing my family's health! , that
>> > is where I draw the
>> > line.

Totally agree that the "Big Corporations" are in it for the $$$ no matter what they say about "Buy American" or other trite shallow phrases.

Since I don't want to risk the possibility of getting sued, I'll refer to the "Big Chain Stores" (you all know who they are!) as the "Big Boxes."

The Big Boxes tout their messages such as "Nobody Sells for Less", etc etc. Yet, we all know that they delight in squeezing out the little person and their businesses by huge volume buying in what ever market they can intimidate to accept what THEY are willing to pay for the product.

"Always the lowest prices" does NOT mean lowest prices on everything! They are advertising loss leaders to seduce your brain into thinking they have lowest prices on everything.

"American Made" doesn't mean they ONLY purchase American on ALL their products...reread they purchase from cheapest supplier. Any number of the "Big Boxes" have been known to purchase Foreign from sweat shop and/or occasional child labor places.

Very good post Arrow, now I can understand why cattle ranchers would have a problem with McDonalds. LA4 just came on here and out of the blue started bashing Mcdonalds and never gave a reason why. If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt its not, then I too will get behind the Mcdonalds boycott. I just wanted a reason why the bashing began, and you made it perfectly clear!

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Mickie D buys one hell of a lot of U. S. beef for all the billions of burgers it sells, not to mention Wendy's, Burger King, etc. That's probably the main reason we get as much for our old worn out cows and bulls as we do. If they say there is a shortage of the type of beef used in their menu items I tend to believe them. They sure as hell couldn't afford to sell all those 99 cent burgers and other relatively cheap menu items if they were using even the "undesireable" parts of the carcass from strictly feedlot calves -- they need the killer cows & bulls and I believe there has been a relative shortage of them.

And sure, their product offerings are not gourmet fare, but consider the low prices and convenience to the consumer that they offer, the generally very clean and sanitary conditions of their stores, etc. Those sort of outfits really satify the demands of many in our society. If you find their product to be acceptable (and I do, but only when I'm on the road traveling and I'm in a hurry) isn't it nice to know that regardless of whether you are in Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago or where ever -- a Big Mac and fries is going to taste the same in all cities?

As to Walmart, I've always had mixed emotions. I own a lot of the stock and my cost is down to about $3.75 per share adjusted for splits, so it has been good to me from a financial standpoint. But I come from a small town and am very familiar with all the local drug stores, hardware stores, clothing & shoe stores, five and dimes, grocers, etc. that have essentially been put out of business by Walmart. As a practical matter only those independent businesses that find a nice niche and rely heavily on service can remain in business if Walmart is a competitor. On the other hand, millions of consumers have benefitted from Walmart's lower prices, supply chain management policies, etc.

I know Walmart's workers don't generally receive a real high cash wage. But if they are willing to accept change and make the most of it, the former owners of local business might become Walmart managers or asst. mgrs. and earn a pretty good wage. And the rank & file members of the Walmart workforce probably would have been rank & file lower paid employees of small local merchants, in the absence of Walmart, so maybe they're no worse off. And maybe Walmart does have too much pricing power over their suppliers but who has been able to come with a reasonable, workable and constitutionally acceptable solution or alternative??

Thank God we are still free to choose and nobody forces us to shop at Walmart. Maybe if more people felt strongly adverse to Walmart its expansion would be stopped. Apparently the folks in a number of towns in New England have essentially voted Walmart out and have decided that they want to support only their local merchants, even though that means paying higher prices. Time to get off my soap box and back to work. Regards to all, Arnold Ziffle

I was at a meeting where a well known columnist was speaking. He spoke about how people shop at Wal-mart because it is cheaper and they pay less, but in reality, many of the lower full time positions are just under the maximum amount you can pay and still receive govt. benefits. They get their pay and they qualify for welfare, so actually we are still paying the same.

Just a thought here but when the big stores come in and push out the other stores they not only decrease their competition in that way but also decrease the ability of the workers to go somewhere else for a higher wage or better benefits.

Some credibility to what the "guest" said about some of the major "Big Boxes." Makes me wonder if he/she doesn't work for one of them...lol.

Anyhoo...the thing that comes to mind is buying cheaper products and therefore selling for less... and probably with a very low profit margin that is made up by volume selling...we know that....

However, when these conglomorates crowd out the small businesses, even some of the local "major" businesses (and smaller chain stores), then this smells of monopoly and the early 20th century "Trusts". These Big boxes "whack" the smaller businesses just the same (unlike the Al Capone and others in the 1920s with their political and police payoffs and Mafia type killings).

Finally, I would think it would be very demoralizing and degrading for an "Ex Small Business Owner" to have to take a menial mindless job at one of the Big Boxes in order to survive financially. "Once a Business Owner"; now a cookie cutter cloned "Associate" (or worse yet...a "Greeter").

Give me a break Big Boxes!!

P.S. I would pick up scrap metal along the roadside before I would work for one of those places.... (I did work for 3 or 4 of those places when I was a Freshman/Sophomore in colloge years ago. Think it lowered my I.Q. several points as a result...lol.)

Thank God we are still free to choose and nobody forces us to shop at Walmart.

But what else can you call it when Walmart comes in to small isolated communities and runs all the other business out??
Isn't that effectively "forcing" the people of that community to shop there??
And the worst thing about Wally World is that after they run the other businesses out and have a somewhat "captive" clientele, then they raise prices!

I can tell you, Mr Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he knew how his company is being run.
Mr Walton was a good man who's intent was to provide good products at a fair price. We knew him well enough that my children cried when he passed away. You would never would have known to see him that he was a multi-millionaire, I never saw him in anything other than overalls and driving a beat up old truck.
I met him when I was waitressing in a small little place in Bentonville, he and Don Tyson used to come in for coffee every morning. Never did care much for Mr Tyson, but Mr Walton was a fine man.

AnnB

I believe every word you are saying. I never did know Mr. Walton, but
everyone that I have known or heard about that had dealings with him will agree with what you have said about Mr. Walton. Seems like the people that are running WalMart since he passed away would have respected his ethics.
I know WalMart is not run now like it was run 20 years ago.
I try to buy as little as I can there, but sometimes I have little or no choice.
I once had one of the managers to say to me that if WalMart would not match the competition prices and a person had to pay their posted prices that he could not afford to shop there.

i started boycotting McDonalds several years ago, and haven't changed. You know, i have never went into withdrals over the years because i didn't eat a Big Mac anymore

i think yall are forgeting something .wallmart started out small like every body else and worked thee way up to the empire they are today. ant that the american way?i dont critisize any man or company for bettering there self.~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Bettering themselves???

Walmart was a good corporation under Mr Walton AND they were a big corporation (wasn't Mr Walton the 3rd richest man in the world at one point? before he divided things up with his kids?), but they had ethics, MR WALTON'S ethics. With Mr Walton gone there is no one there with enough fortitude to ensure that the principles that he valued are enforced/lived up to.

Sam wasn't into driving the small "Mom & Pop" stores out of business. Heck the Walmart empire started as a single "Mom & Pop" store -- Walton's Five & Dime on the square in Bentonville. It's now a museum, and well worth a visit if you're in the area.

AnnB

Here in Wisconsin the local people are keeping Walmart out of the area through zoning. They want to protect the local stores and business.

When Walmart pays a poor wage they know the govwerment will make up the difference. As tax payers, how do you like helping Walmart pay their employees? I don't, I believe in a living wage and a fair days pay for a fair days work.

I won't even go near a Walmart (nearest one 250 miles away anyway)-refuse to spend my money on all import products- quit McDonalds a year or so ago when they started selling imported beef- I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more and go to locally owned establishments that guarantee I'm getting CAB beef. Makes for a fight with the grandkids sometimes as they would rather have the climate provided by Mickie D's.

Now if we could only convince the NCBA, the packers, the retailers and the congress that we prefer USA products and get Country of Origin Labeling for our beef, produce and other food products.

Oldtimer":dfgkf2rk said:
I won't even go near a Walmart (nearest one 250 miles away anyway)-refuse to spend my money on all import products- quit McDonalds a year or so ago when they started selling imported beef- I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more and go to locally owned establishments that guarantee I'm getting CAB beef. Makes for a fight with the grandkids sometimes as they would rather have the climate provided by Mickie D's.

Now if we could only convince the NCBA, the packers, the retailers and the congress that we prefer USA products and get Country of Origin Labeling for our beef, produce and other food products.

Amend!

Why support Burger King?
They are truing to put the Mom and Pop shops out
of business also.

What seems to be lost in all ofthis discussion is that the burger joints are'nt usaully owned by the chain. It's an individual that buys a franchise so they're pretty mush a mom & pop business. They have the pruchasing power and marketing assistance of a major company backing them and have to adhere to the companys policys and regulations.

dun

Anonymous":ewevr2cc said:
Why support Burger King?
They are truing to put the Mom and Pop shops out
of business also.

Latest posts