? for Veternarians

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef08

Reaction score
hey just wondering if there are any veternarians on here? I am considering majoring in pre-vet medicine and was wondering how long it takes to get through vet school and if you can be a vet with just a masters degree of if you have to have a phd?

I'm not a vet but you have to become a DVM in order to be an actual vet, which means you have to go through vet school. Otherwise you won't be able to purchase certain medicines or get your license to practice. The whole process of going through school will take a while, and it can be pretty hard to get into vet school. But if you work hard and its something you really want to do, then go for it. You could always go to college for pre vet and even if you don't end up wanting to be a vet you could use that degree for a lot of other careers. You might also consider being a vet tech. if you don't want to go through as much school.

Vet school is typically 4 years, Washington State is 5 years. Like LM11 said you have to go to vet school to be able to practice medicine.

You could always go to Austrailia for vet school, there your pre-vet/vet school only is 5 years long.

Beef08":3tb0wpup said:
hey just wondering if there are any veternarians on here? I am considering majoring in pre-vet medicine and was wondering how long it takes to get through vet school and if you can be a vet with just a masters degree of if you have to have a phd?

I was down at MSU back in March for the A.I. class. I was impressed with the veterinary school facilities and the commitment MSU has made to their agriculture program.

Beef08":q0gghm5q said:

I'm no vet either but I do know that a typical pre-vet program would take you four years to complete at any university that has this program, plus another 4 years at vet school before you get your DVM if you have the grades to qualify and get in soon enough.

That's about all I know. :dunce:

MSU has a good reputation and does a lot of research... LSU also has a good vet school. Here's alink to the Texas A&M school of Vet. Meds. All I can tell you is "put your working clothes on... it's hard to even get in the vet school.....even harder to stay in"

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/

I do not know what it is like in the United States but here in Canada it is easier to get into "people" medicine than veterinarian medicine..

If it is something you want to do, start early and study ,,study ,,study. You can have a social life after you have established your practice..

FarmGirl10":h63mrap2 said:
Vet school is typically 4 years, Washington State is 5 years.

Washington State is 4 years... three in the classroom, one year of "real" work.

Beef08 -- Washington State recruiter told me last fall, focus on quality more than quantity. They like to see a variety of interests but stability and quality time spent in whatever you're doing. Grades are important but so is animal experience, don't under-rate that one. 4 years of undergrad work (or 5, or 6, depending on how long it takes you...) and then 4 years at vet school. Lotta college time.

Best wishes in whatever you decide, let me know if you have questions about the undergrad part of it.... And now I'd better get back to studying so I can pass the organic chemistry exam tomorrow evening....

Latest posts