? for those with Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

danielsumner

Reaction score
Miami Florida (Soon to be Southeast Georiga)
Some honest discussion, and please don't tell me to get a Jersey :roll: From those that raise Hereford? If I got a tame bred heifer, do you think she could be taught to become a family milk cow? I know they won't give gallons and gallons of milk and in advance, and I Don't want a goat. I think that the Herefords have the best looking udders around, and the teats look like they would be just right for hand milking. I've also read where the milk is high in butterfat. I'm thinking about getting a couple for this purpose. They would live out their lives in comfort. I hope that no one takes offense at my bluntness; however I've broached the subject of a non dairy breed cow as a home milk cow on a couple of forums. Sometimes the responses are not pleasant. Any opinions.

Thanks

Daniel

Yep they can & do make top notch house cows my mother had one years ago when I was little the old hereford gave enough milk for the family + raised 3 calves. The only thing I would be concerned about is the udder ligements & if possible ask if the breeder has the mother, kept any siblings ect so you can see what they're like as they get older

In short, yes. She should be able to give your family enough (???? assuming you don't drink half to three quarters of a gallon of milk a day) but she still needs to provide for the calf. So you may need to give her and her calf extra supplements also.... good hay and grain.

JMO,
Alan

danielsumner":2z5a2w56 said:
Some honest discussion, and please don't tell me to get a Jersey :roll: From those that raise Hereford? If I got a tame bred heifer, do you think she could be taught to become a family milk cow? I know they won't give gallons and gallons of milk and in advance, and I Don't want a goat. I think that the Herefords have the best looking udders around, and the teats look like they would be just right for hand milking. I've also read where the milk is high in butterfat. I'm thinking about getting a couple for this purpose. They would live out their lives in comfort. I hope that no one takes offense at my bluntness; however I've broached the subject of a non dairy breed cow as a home milk cow on a couple of forums. Sometimes the responses are not pleasant. Any opinions.

Thanks

Daniel

When I was a kid we hand milked cows. We used to get young holstien heifers and breed them to polled Hereford bulls. We kept at least one of those 1/2 Holstein and 1/2 Hereford cows as a milk cow and she was very good. She gave alotof milk and stayed around a long time. You might try crossing a Hereford cow with a Holstein bull through AI and getting a good cross heifer. Don't keep the Holstein bull calves around.......too mean. Boy do I remember that!! Cut 'em and get rid of 'em.

I think she would have to give more milk than most herefords i have seen, but have milked a few dairy hereford crosses that done alright.

Thanks everyone for the replies. There is just two of us, so all I would ever want would be around a gallon of milk a day, give or take. I think a Hereford cow is a pretty thing, also like the red simmentals. Kinda thinking about getting cows from 4h or ffa kids that show. Some don't want thier animals to go to market.

Daniel

alexfarms":18tqohga said:
danielsumner":18tqohga said:

Thanks

Daniel

When I was a kid we hand milked cows. We used to get young holstien heifers and breed them to polled Hereford bulls. We kept at least one of those 1/2 Holstein and 1/2 Hereford cows as a milk cow and she was very good. She gave alotof milk and stayed around a long time. You might try crossing a Hereford cow with a Holstein bull through AI and getting a good cross heifer. Don't keep the Holstein bull calves around.......too mean. Boy do I remember that!! Cut 'em and get rid of 'em.

Great suggestion!

Alan

Now if you find a breeder with a good reputation look at what he has. Most 4-H kids I know around here prefer black cattle, hopefully you might find one down where you are at.
Now if you can't find one go look at weanling calves and raise it up yourself.

Too bad your not closer I have a Hereford Jersey heifer calf cross.

See if you can find one that milks like this!
noackcow.jpg

George

I've seen Herefords.Brahmans and Jersey Herefords milked before quite successfully. Herefords have been knocked too much for their milking ability. They do milk as well as Angus and lots of other British breeds. South Devons and Red Polls are better but they are classed as dual purpose so they should.

Latest posts