??? for those of you who might know

Help Support CattleToday:

rusty

Reaction score
Sorry for the the subject line I didn't know how to approach this question.
Yesterday I took a reg 2yr old black limmi bull to the vets for a breeding test.It is my BIL bull that I was planning on using for clean up.Was the first time I had seen this test done and didn't know what was going to take place.This is to let those of you who don't know what this test is hopefully find out and those of you who do answer some questions for me.
I unloaded the bull helped vet get him in headgate then test began.Vet cleaned out the bulls rear end and inserted what looked like a big vibrator(by the way he asked me to hold it in place).Then he turned it on bull started quivering.
? #1 does the vet usually have to unsheath the bull for this test?
When bull was unsheathed he had a growth midway down his penis.The vet collected the sample said he would be right back and left for several minutes.When he returned he said that the first part of test was good and that he thought that the growth was a wart that needed to be removed.I asked if warts were normal and he said that this was the 3rd one he had seen this spring and that they were sometimes caused by bulls riding other bulls when pinned together.Also he said they were normaly closer to the point of the shaft.
? #2 Have any of you heard of this and is what he said true?
He then turned machine back on and had to unsheath bull again cut growth off and began sewing up cut.Had one bad bleeder that he was working on when his assistant let go of the penis which went back in.Couldn't get it unsheathed again to cut sultures by the way the needle was in his hand so it didn't go in.
Last ? is there any danger in what he did?
I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post but just wanted to share my day at the vets with you all and get some ?'s answered.Vet did say bull would be fine but what else would he say.BTW the sultures are suspossed to dissolve.Was mainly concered about infection and or bleeding.
Also the bill was $65.00 which I thought was ok as long as bull doesn't die.

The vibrator is an electro-ejaculator, gives a milk electrical stimulus causing the bull to ejaculate.

We just had our bulls semen tested yesterday. And we have been getting it done every year for about the last 7 or 8 years. This is how the vet here does it as well.
When they disappear, they are looking in the microscope counting the sperm, checking for abnormal sperm and checking #'s.
Price here is about 50.00, haven't recieved the bill yet.
Know nothing about the wart thing, but i would keep an eye on the bull, watching incase infection does set in, not saying it will, but the sooner it is caught if it does the better for you and the bull.
On another note, is your BIL on the same type of herd prevention program as you? Did the vet check for STD's and BVD since this is not a virgin bull introduced into your herd...just a thought...

The bull is the only thing my BIL has left.I bought his herd off him last summer and its the same clean up bull he had used by the way I was wrong on his age it is a 3yr old.We thought he had broke his penis last fall and he was kept along with my MIL cow which hasn't been bred back which was the reason for the test.Vet said wart might have hindered insertion to breed her back.
Test was $30.00 surgey was $35.00.It's not that I don't trust vet was just wanting more input.

If it was me I would cull that bull or atleast add another bull with him. Just wouldnt want to take any chances. Theres enough stuff that can go wrong that you will never know about no need it taking a chance on something extra.

Why not just use 2 bulls in the first place and save all that trouble and Vet bills. Or just buy a bull from a reputable producer?

that was cheap enough for the procedure, you have to trust your vet or you will worry yourself crazy.
i had some fall heifers preg checked last month by an intern vet, she has preg cked with my regular vet, one was open and i was not sure what to do. do i trust her? i sold the open heifer.
if you have a doubt i would replace the bull. or have it checked again before turning him out.
i took a bull last month for same test, that is how it is done, my bull leaned on the fence and finally sat down when it was over. i can't say i blame him