For those confused, here is my bovine plan for '09.

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
OK, I have had you folks look at Shorthorn bulls of all shapes sizes and types, Herefords, Gelbvieh, Charolais, ect, ect, ect. I have sparked breed debates, and made you all so confused about what I wanted to do because I was very unsure myself. Over the past week, Mom and Dad have really reined me in and finally made me sit down, shut up, and think things over. So, I think I have FINALLY capitalized on advice from DOC and other mentors and decided to what course to go. For those of you who are actually interested in the plight of a 15 year old, here is my immediate 1 year plan and my two and three year plan. I am still working on it from there and market, natural disaster, drought, flood, ect. may change this plan, but at least I know what I'm getting after. OK, here it is.
For this spring, I am expecting a few LimFlex calves out of my two commercial cows. A neighbor was kind enough to lease a bull this dry year, so we took what we could get. (No offense to the Limo breeders out there, I am excited for the '09 calf crop.) On my first calf heifer, I am eagerly expecting a N BAR Emulation EXT calf. On my purebred Angus cows, I am looking at getting calves from OCC Homer. If not Homer, then the Reg. Clean-up bull. OK, there is what I am getting in the way of calves. Now, here we get to buying/breeding/selling.
All my cows are young and in excellent condition, so none are getting culled. I have one Reg. bull calf for sale. (PM if interested. :D ) Other than that, it's all replacement heifers. I bought one more good doin' WF weanling heifer out of Dad's herd. I have one Reg. and one commercial heifer coming up for replacements as well.
Now, the new heifers all go to OCC Homer as he has been proven to be a very easy calving bull in our herds. My blue and two black commercial cows go to a Hereford bull for baldie calves. 320N of Ned's line-up, to be exact. And that's that for breeding.
Now, here is where my showing passion comes in. Chill out, no Maines, Chi's, or puffy SH are in mind. But, KKA of Elbert have always been real good about helping kids in the Angus business. So, I aim on trying to pick one up that I can breed this spring and try to take back as a bred heifer to Denver. Either that, or I would breed her for an early calf and take the weanling back to Denver in '11. THAT will be my show herd. KKA raise some pretty functional cattle, but they just have that growth, power, and milk it takes to raise a Denver worthy calf. Not to mention, the son of the guy who used to own the ranch is my judging coach and an amazing clipper/fitter. If I buy one of his calves, I hope I could also get some help in learning how to specifically fit, clip, and grow hair on Angus. I may as well specialize because I know I will be part of the Registered Angus business.
Welp, that's it. Sorry if it was boring. DOC, I think you'll like this plan. If any of you out there are ever in the area, please feel free to let me know so you can stop by and have a look. I thank you all for the advice and encouragement you have given to me. And thanks especially to DOC HARRIS for keeping my mind on track. :cboy:

blackcowz-

You are certainly welcome for any help I have been able to impart to you! I have spent the last hour and a half writing a reply to your first post today, and my "NEW" Vista Computer program decided to "eat" my homework, and you probably didn't get it! G-r-r-r-r. But I am getting ready to travel to the NWSS in Denver tomorrow morning, but will try to get back to another answer to you later this evening, by PM.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2kucje8u said:
blackcowz-

You are certainly welcome for any help I have been able to impart to you! I have spent the last hour and a half writing a reply to your first post today, and my "NEW" Vista Computer program decided to "eat" my homework, and you probably didn't get it! G-r-r-r-r. But I am getting ready to travel to the NWSS in Denver tomorrow morning, but will try to get back to another answer to you later this evening, by PM.

DOC HARRIS
Thanks DOC, I always look forward to your PM's.
(P.S. That's why I use a Mac. :D ;-) )

Here's to you!!! best of luck in your venture...

p.s. i'd bet that the judge would help you learn to clip without buying his calf...

xbred":280t3k7v said:
Here's to you!!! best of luck in your venture...

p.s. i'd bet that the judge would help you learn to clip without buying his calf...
Well, to be honest, he has shown me quite a bit. But it was more of a run-down, not like a teaching seminar. Plus, with one of his, he may have some experience with her and her bloodlines that would help me out a great deal. I.e., if she is known for being a little too soft behind, he could show me how to fix that on that particular female.

Red Bull Breeder":235hcza9 said:
You got it all figured out now Blackcowz, until them Limflex calves blow your mind.
I thought you might have some comment on that. ;-) Of course, if 4C were still around, it'd be I had it figured out until I got some simm-angus. :nod: :lol2:

DOC HARRIS":2w6ozfl6 said:
blackcowz-

DOC HARRIS

WOW, Doc you are braver than I thought to be using a Vista machine. When my last desktop melted down, my computer repair shop guy insisted that I didn't want to go to a Vista box. He built me a new XP machine last year instead. Balmer was on Fox Bus channel ~a couple weeks ago and the Beta version of the Vista replacement is already out and he thinks it will be in the stores in the Fall (maybe).

Blackcowz: I am rather impressed with you, at your age, you are accomplishing great things. If I were your age again, I would look around quite a bit, decide what type of cattle you like and what will function in your area and breed them, keeping your ultimate customer the commercial cow-calf man in mind. You might check out the Shoshone herd and go to 5 barX and read the closed herd breeding thread, there is a ton of information there for the taking. You might also contact Tim Ohlde, there is a cattle breeder. I see you are using Homer, we have 1 Homer heifer and she is looking pretty good to me right now. It would be worth the trip to Palmer KS to see the cattle and how they do things. Your hero got most of his genetics from Ohldes, and I toyed with the idea of buying a bull from Kit, but then I decided that I might as well just go to the source. I am glad I did.

Best of luck, but with your apparent work ethic at your age, luck probably won't have too much to do with your ultimate success. Keep up the good work.

Oh and go ahead and breed a couple to those puffy clubby bulls. Won't hurt anything in the long run and you might impress some girl in the barn if you win. :) Or, if you get grand or Res and sell the calf in the auction, you will have the capitol to buy a good heifer.

At least you have a plan. :)

My only comment is that Angus cattle that do well in the show ring are not necessarily (or I'll even say usually) the cattle that do well in the commercial world. The market for most registered bulls is commercial cattlemen. Some commercial guys won't touch a bull if they know he's from show stock. Enjoy your cattle and good luck with them.

After your shaky start on the forum I have to congratulate you for being open to learn and think forward far enough to have a plan (and made a few friends in the process).

Good luck, your plan sounds pretty good to me.

blackcowz, congratulations on developing a plan. Best thing about a plan is seeing it through. I hope everything works out for you.

KMacGinley":3fxuo2j8 said:
Your hero got most of his genetics from Ohldes, and I toyed with the idea of buying a bull from Kit, but then I decided that I might as well just go to the source. I am glad I did.

Oh and go ahead and breed a couple to those puffy clubby bulls. Won't hurt anything in the long run and you might impress some girl in the barn if you win. :) Or, if you get grand or Res and sell the calf in the auction, you will have the capitol to buy a good heifer.
For the first part of the quote, can you imagine I started thinking the same thing? I know, even though Kit walks on water, he got his genetics from other sources as well. We have been really impressed at how wonderfully easy it was to deal with the Ohlde family. Needed 20 straws of semen while they were on vacation. No problem. They picked up their cell phone and took our order. I was amazed. Also, I am incorporating some DDA genetics. One of my heifers is out of that 27C bull they have. I am simply amazed at how wonderful the man I bought her from was. He knew I was just starting out. I paid a good deal of money for that heifer cause I knew she was worth it. He said for buying her and because I was starting out, he wanted to give me something. I'm thinking a cap, pen, ect. Nope. A check for nearly half the amount of the female to "help you out." Now, I am a lifelong customer.

As for the second part, LT Bluegrass has been getting some excellent reviews as to being a thick, sound bull that would make some very "functional" show cattle. I'm thinking of using him on a couple females in 2010. BTW, just between you and I, I wouldn't mind selling a clubby and promoting my name in the cattle industry while impressing a girl. Two birds with one stone. :lol2:

As for the rest of you, I thank you so much for the input. Frankie, I do realize that, and I know that some people might shy away from those type of cattle. However, that's just for a Denver "promotion" and my rugged, proven genetics will stay off the feed and be ready for any commercial cow herd.

KNERSIE, for you especially, I appreciate you opening my eyes to the true value of Herefords. ;-)
Like I said, I thank you for the encouragement, and if you're ever in the area, stop in. :cboy:

BC,

The thing that impresses me most about your plan is
market, natural disaster, drought, flood, ect. may change this plan
At your age, to have this kind of fore thought, shows you have already been exposed to some pretty good mentors. Keep up the good work and best of luck.

Latest posts