For those Charolais people out there.

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
For those Charolais people out there which genetics have you found to work best for you and why. Speaking mostly on Char cows with Char bulls. And which genetics are you using to improve your herd with and why. Have you seen results out of the genetics your using or just using big named genetics because everyone else is. Just wondering?

i hate to admit it but i chase the big names too..trying to get better EPD #'s in my herd, although my few customers could seem to care less about the #s. Except the birth weight epd..and usully they ae buying a virgin bull who's #s will never be recorded again....but anyway Ali Star was my last AI purchase..imho i only got 1 good calf from six straws...a super nice hiefer...1 fair bull calf (we'll see)..and a set of twins both runts...i've got 4 straws left, i may use this fall...i really like the looks of the Reality bull, but his #s are way off...rogers bar h is close by and they have good cattle..currently the #1 trait leader...i have several cows out of their herd and they are some of my best... it's hard for a small herd to improve as quickly as a large one, especially now with the ET so many use...

i really like the looks of the Reality bull, but his #s are way off..

the reason BHD REALITY T3136 #'s are way off is because the DeBruyckers don't chase epds... they use real #'s.. he has an 86# bw and a 775# ww... those are good #'s... I sold a Pair with a Reality bull at side for $2600 in the 2010 Sale of Excellence... The calves out of him are awesome...

I try to stay with the DeBruycker breeding... LHD CIGAR, CJC ILLUSION N111, REALITY, CJC MR PRESIDENT. These are all great bulls... I also use VCR SIR DUKE 914... He produces great females.... The DeBruyckers raise cattle for cattle people... They have some of the best females in the world.. They are the largest purebred charolais herd in the world with over 2000 females.... There are other great breeders out there. Linskov-Theil, Wink, Eaton, and a few others... These four breeders don't chase fads... they breed good cattle that will milk, gain, and hang a good carcass.. Good luck!!!!

Firstly I do not go for show ring wins as a factor on whether use or buy a bull. I want o see them raised in as close to commercial management conditions as possible. We also like to see fullblood and half French parentage in their background as these tened to be our best cattle.
Bulls with alot of representation over the years:
LHD Mr. Perfect- a great foundation bull has produced everything from great cows to the number #2 yearling weight EPD bull in the breed.
HTA Whitehot- Started out life as a clean up bull but his maternal quantities and ability to sire all around moderate good cattle makes him worth looking for.
LT Rio Blanco- A performance icon with those LT maternal traits. Also good REA. He will be a legend like Mr. Perfect.
Buddy Cobb Breeding- This is the basis for good, no non sense cattle. A good fullblood base that puts thickness and functionality into their cattle. I can't afford this stuff but it is good.

Now on to some line you haven't heard of:
Rawes Ranches- They have their own closed herd that has a unique outcross calving ease line that has decent REA/cwt and growth. They also have some high EPD performance cattle with Weinks, ABC, and Effertz breeding. Worthwhile looking into as the herd is not shown or promoted outside their annual bull sale:http://www.rawesranches.com/.
We also loved the marketability of Gerrard Fear No Evil (Wiillowvale Projector line) and Moores Legacy. Stauffers used both bulls hard with their calving ease bull being a a Legacy calf: http://www.stauffercharolais.com/
I don't have the time to get into the red factors here...

I hope some more people put in their two cents on this thread. I know more than 3 people know some things and have seen really good Charolais Cattle. So lets here it. Me personally I like the Budsmydad, Duke 914, Duke 261, about any LT breeding and Eatons and Debruckers, along with Vedvie breeding are all nice well doing cattle.

Forgot about Ramburs, there is some others pretty well know names out there that are breeding good cattle as well I just haven't seen alot of the others in person.

Have a small Charolais stud herd. Five cows plus their followers. Used a Rio Bravo bull (g'son of Rio Blanco), but he was a lunatic :devil2: He arrived and put an experienced cattle/horseman out of the yard and always head up and choppy. He had another rather negative "quality". He ran with the 5 cows for 7 weeks and NO PREGNANCIES. He had his head chopped off and I bought another young bull from the original vendor. The new fellow is a Western Spur X Wyoming Wind. His temperament is brilliant :p . I'll try to post a photo later. An angus X Char steer will be in the freezer in June. Can't wait.

Now Bright View seems your concentrating your genetics.. If your looking for the wideload type of cattle your using the wrong lines.. Cigar, Trademark, Mr Perfect, Cobb genetics will lead you there, Charolais Breeders have to remember 90% of the bulls are used for a terminal cross, we have to breed in Performance, Carcass, guts and butts...

Maternal Genetics dominate the breed, Wyoming Wind is an example, his epds have consistanly dropped over the last 10 years... he has below average EPD"s across the board. BELOW AVERAGE and yet he is the most widely used sires in the breed history. I don't seek a lot of those smokey females making cows..

Bright View email Bill S. you found a breeder who values bulls that do it all, calve easy, perform, grow, and grade... Ask Bill he can lead you in the right Direction.. :")

like i said earlier, i like the way Reality looks, but you never know if it's just a good photo or a good bull...thanks for the info, i'll try him...

like i said earlier, i like the way Reality looks, but you never know if it's just a good photo or a good bull...thanks for the info, i'll try him...

Reality calves are great so far... At the Sale of Excellence, they stole the show... There was around 200 straws of semen sold on him because of the display of his calves.... The one that we sent was a Reality x Cigar and he was super nice... He weighed 72# at birth and got thicker everyday... Kinda wish I still had him.. All the others that we have and I have seen are really nice... I haven't seen a bad calf yet... He is a great bull....

Dusty,

Bright View is using maternal bulls but we didn't hear about the cows he was breeding. Remember that Australian Charolais is a mix of French/British/Canadian and lastly American breeding. He might be getting his butts and guts from the cows. Improved maternal capability is an important thing for Australian breeders.
Also what about the Mr Perfect son Field Rep? Does he sire as good as his numbers? What about his females?
We did not use Wyoming Wind due to the problems you listed. Growth was mediocre and maternal traits weren't outstanding. I should promote a bull so well.
I just one question for Bright View: What was the other breeding in the Rio Bravo son? We did have some disposition problems with some cows based on old Charbray breeding. We soon bred or culled this disposition problem out.

VLS_GUY,
Here is the breeding of the Rio Bravo cull . His female side is basically Australian, back to Full French genetics.My females are few but include a WCR Prime Cut daughter, her daughter by an all-Oz R/F bull, and Wyoming Wind Granddaughter from a daughter of English sire Seawell Offshore and a Rio Bravo daughter, this one from a Baldridge Fastrack daughter. We are using Bluegrass and a French sire Pinay over cows AI. We are putting the grunt into the Charolais. We also run 150 Black Angus breeders and will use the young Charolais bull as cover over AI and ET. The Charolais is a sidelight at the moment. We have heard ad nauseum about Angus lacking butt and grunt, so we decided to branch ever so lightly at the moment into Charolais.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=5E50515D

Brightview,

How is Pinay working for you? I like Impair breeding but at $ 130 a straw it is expensive to use. This bull may be the son to use. Rosso has a Impair son that made it big called Rosso New Horizon. If you want some North American bulls take a look at the bulls qualified for OZ: http://www.charolaisbanner.com/genetics.html.
By the way LHD Mr. Perfect is a good line check out SOS Polled Detonator: http://www.charolaisbanner.com/dbarl/pr ... onator.htm
A few other bulls: http://www.charolaisbanner.com/dbarl/semen.htm.

Latest posts