For the older folks

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
My personal thoughts on life: I have been been blessed with 3 sons and 4 grandchildren all living on the ranch , one son has built his mechanic shop on the ranch where he makes his living, luckily we all live in harmony , they live their lives we live ours, we see each other several times a week if not daily, they never ask for financial help, we probably spend more on the grandchildren than we should but what the heck, sitting here watching 2 grandchildren racing around the stock tank I got to thinking: What if 43 years ago we had made the decision not to have children and how it would have redirected our lives , I know we would have a whole lot more money but it would be a great void in our lives, would we live in different place or house, would I still own my ranch or would I have sold it , would the relationship between my wife and I be the same, there are many more questions I have as to were we would be now. Am I the only one that has these weird thoughts or do other people stop and think where their lives would be if they had not had kids.

P.S.
I have never regretted having the kids

Lots of ways to look back and think "what if", but I can't imagine the "what if" without my children.

The wife, kids and grand-kid (and hopefully more one day) are the best things in my life. Without them, life would not be worth living.

If I could change things, it sure wouldn't be them. It would be some of the stupid things that I've done in life...

grannysoo":b09nqll3 said:
If I could change things, it sure wouldn't be them. It would be some of the stupid things that I've done in life...
It's those stupid things that made you what you are.
There are lots of things I should have done different but if I could go back I'ld still do the same stuff.

Wondering now if it is a man thing as my Husband is always saying that 'What if'.....and if he could come back he would like to do it without children to compare the difference but I think he would be lonely. And not to have the most beautiful Granddaughter that we have would be a cotastraphy. Never to hear the words Mum...Dad around you I feel would be heart breaking. I know a few childless marriages, for various reasons, and that is one of their biggest regrets. A friend of mine never wanted children, thought she was going through the change in life and found she was expecting, she has made the most wonderful Mum there could be. and now wishes she had become a parent ages ago so she could have had more. No I would not like to be without my Children for all the heart aches and most of all laughter they have bought to our lives.

I only have one grand daughter, she graduated from high school yesterday. She is a very good friend and I enjoy every minute with her. She listen when I am giving her advice and she ask for advice and doesn't get mad if the advice is not what she wants to hear. I and all the family have encouraged her to attend college and she is. She made the decision to be a teacher when she was in the fourth grade and has stuck to it. She assisted in teaching 2 hours a day all year and was very happy doing it. She got enough in scholarships to pay for 3 years of her college. Was a big surprise to all. With this said this is the reason I would not change to not having a child.

I lost my first wife and two daughters to a Tornado while serving in Nam.I swore that I would never get married again,and then it happened.Swore to have no more children,then it happened 2 boys and 2 girls.
Was the happiest man on earth.Then my ex ran off and left me to raise the children when the youngest was three.I did so and never got re-married until youngest was 18 yr old.
It was a struggle but we got through it and I now have twelve wonderful grandchildren and trust me it was worth every bit of it.
I am now a happy grandpa blessed with a good wife 4 kids and a bunch of precious grandchildren.
And also happy I don't have to raise any more ,especially by myself.

Cal

Wow, some deep thought provoking stuff here. Even though I raised my kids by myself I can't imagine what my life would have been without them. Maybe it would have been easier, but maybe not. Would have been nice if their Dad hadn't been such a dickweed. Have they given me heartache? Yup. But they have also given me my greatest joys. Would I trade them in for anything? Nope. I love them with all my heart. I also have one precious grand kid (even tho she is a pickle) who makes all those "parent" trials worth it!!!! She is wonderful.

Calman":ia76s962 said:
I lost my first wife and two daughters to a Tornado while serving in Nam.I swore that I would never get married again,and then it happened.Swore to have no more children,then it happened 2 boys and 2 girls.
Was the happiest man on earth.Then my ex ran off and left me to raise the children when the youngest was three.I did so and never got re-married until youngest was 18 yr old.
It was a struggle but we got through it and I now have twelve wonderful grandchildren and trust me it was worth every bit of it.
I am now a happy grandpa blessed with a good wife 4 kids and a bunch of precious grandchildren.
And also happy I don't have to raise any more ,especially by myself.

Cal
Sorry for your loss Cal and like you I wouldn't trade my kids or grandkids for anything

Latest posts