for the newbs

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
You won't make any money in the cattle biz without first learning some of the tricks. Make sure your cows are always multitasking. Sure breeding back within 90 days is important but even more important is a less than 9 month gestation period. If you can squeeze that gestation period down to 7 months and breed back one month after calving. Why, you would make twice as much money every other year as everyone else on a 12 month program. Wean the calves when they are a year old. This way they are raising atleast two calves while they are preganant. This is the best of multitasking. Keeping the calf on momma for a full 12 months of the 15 month calendar year will allow you wean off a 1,400 lb. calf. So lets keep this simple.

If you get $1.00 for the calf at 1,400 lbs you just grossed $1400 dollars. But, your cow was also raising one calf in the oven and another on the teat so really you grossed ($1400 dollars divided by 9 divided by 3 wich gives us $51.85 * 12 months in a real year. So you have another $1400 of unrealized profit so far. Now you have to calculate the costs to maintain that cow in a 15 month calendar year. Take that # and divide it by 15 and then multiply it by 12 because in real life we have 12 months in a year. Take that # substract it from your gross plus your unrealized gross and now you have your imaginary net profit. ;-)

Walt

Txwalt":mr38cs7v said:
You won't make any money in the cattle biz without first learning some of the tricks. Make sure your cows are always multitasking. Sure breeding back within 90 days is important but even more important is a less than 9 month gestation period. If you can squeeze that gestation period down to 7 months and breed back one month after calving. Why, you would make twice as much money every other year as everyone else on a 12 month program. Wean the calves when they are a year old. This way they are raising atleast two calves while they are preganant. This is the best of multitasking. Keeping the calf on momma for a full 12 months of the 15 month calendar year will allow you wean off a 1,400 lb. calf. So lets keep this simple.

If you get $1.00 for the calf at 1,400 lbs you just grossed $1400 dollars. But, your cow was also raising one calf in the oven and another on the teat so really you grossed ($1400 dollars divided by 9 divided by 3 wich gives us $51.85 * 12 months in a real year. So you have another $1400 of unrealized profit so far. Now you have to calculate the costs to maintain that cow in a 15 month calendar year. Take that # and divide it by 15 and then multiply it by 12 because in real life we have 12 months in a year. Take that # substract it from your gross plus your unrealized gross and now you have your imaginary net profit. ;-)

Walt

now thats funny
you should put this in coffee shop

Heh.

I'd be worried if you'd used bullet points for clarity... the newbs might have been able to understand it.

when you don't even know how to figure your cost!

You said something about keeping it simple? Income less outgoings divided by cow numbers. Don't worry what proportion of calf to assign the income from this multi-tasking cow to... she's the one making you the profit, not the calf.
If the resulting per cow figure is less than the average producer your performance is worse than the average producer - a bit of micro-management might help turn things around.
*disclaimer*: this is not my job. I is a dairyperson.

regolith":1etoosqk said:
Don't worry what proportion of calf to assign the income from this multi-tasking cow to... she's the one making you the profit, not the calf.

Wrong. You must know how much the calf is making you, not the cow. Your not selling the cow. With 3 calfs on one cow on a 15 month calendar year. Each calf cost is calculated every 5 months. Its simple math. :cowboy:

Walt

You are making it too complicated. If you are going to shift your gestation why not just calve on a quarterly cycle and be in sync with your quartely taxes. Keeping the calf to 1400 lbs seems foolish to me. I thought everybody knew you make more per pound on a light weight calf than a heavy one.

That is funny. Some of the welfare cases around here breed back and "calve" about every seven months. Maybe I'll ask them their secret and try to apply it to cattle.

TexasBred":1zjuczxb said:
grannysoo":1zjuczxb said:
I understand that they are still a few jobs open in the Nobama administration. You would qualify!

Too late...I already paid my taxes. :oops:

You didn't claim any of the cows as dependants did you?

SirLoin2":1t2m3l7h said:
FYI:
Brandonm22

Re:
I would like to do my taxes on a rolling 15 month calendar too. I wonder what the IRS would say???
Funny that so many of you equate this method to the IRS, as they were the very ones who proposed it back in the late 60s when farmers started incorporating to take advantage of the tax code just like General Motors and Chrysler.

As you may , or may not know a Corp, works on a fiscal year, not a calendar year. But both are only for 12 months. The difference is that, when you are a Corp. you get to set your own year end date. And it could be any date. And that is when you must do an inventory and asses a value to your inventory. Well unlike a car, the value of a cow is constantly changing over the fiscal year and from year to year. And it didn't take cattlemen long to figure out that if they used open cow value, or 3 in 1 value, they could achieve their tax goal a lot easer. So they simply chose a fiscal year date to coincide with their breeding season and their inventory matched their intended goal.

It was an accountants nightmare up until the Corp tax laws were changed to better serve farmers and cattlemen's unique situation, vs. General Motor type Corp. uniqueness.

Believe it or not, they actually taught this crap at seminars and on collage campuses, and we didn't have computer programs back then to do the math.
SL

My year end is February 29th. Works good for me so far. Really cuts down on paperwork.

Jogeephus":227d7yr5 said:
SirLoin2":227d7yr5 said:
FYI:
Brandonm22

Re:
I would like to do my taxes on a rolling 15 month calendar too. I wonder what the IRS would say???
Funny that so many of you equate this method to the IRS, as they were the very ones who proposed it back in the late 60s when farmers started incorporating to take advantage of the tax code just like General Motors and Chrysler.

As you may , or may not know a Corp, works on a fiscal year, not a calendar year. But both are only for 12 months. The difference is that, when you are a Corp. you get to set your own year end date. And it could be any date. And that is when you must do an inventory and asses a value to your inventory. Well unlike a car, the value of a cow is constantly changing over the fiscal year and from year to year. And it didn't take cattlemen long to figure out that if they used open cow value, or 3 in 1 value, they could achieve their tax goal a lot easer. So they simply chose a fiscal year date to coincide with their breeding season and their inventory matched their intended goal.

It was an accountants nightmare up until the Corp tax laws were changed to better serve farmers and cattlemen's unique situation, vs. General Motor type Corp. uniqueness.

Believe it or not, they actually taught this crap at seminars and on collage campuses, and we didn't have computer programs back then to do the math.
SL

My year end is February 29th. Works good for me so far. Really cuts down on paperwork.

Now that's a trick that caught my got my attention Jo!

backhoeboogie":2zfne5u9 said:
TexasBred":2zfne5u9 said:
grannysoo":2zfne5u9 said:
I understand that they are still a few jobs open in the Nobama administration. You would qualify!

Too late...I already paid my taxes. :oops:

You didn't claim any of the cows as dependants did you?

Yes I did. And if anyone tries to disallow them, they would be racist. :lol2:

Latest posts