for the Canadians CCIA rant

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
OK, went to verify the calves last night. Just kept putting it off because there are always difficulties. When we shipped the calves, and i was adding up the shipped, the retained, verifying in the book and uploading information, i found a calf that might not have been tagged. Called hubby while he was on route so he could check. Found one, and on his next trip to save $20.00/ head to tag, he took a tag and the tagger and tagged the calf himself. However, he and one of the workers found one that lost a tag on route. So since this was his last trip, he bought tags from the auction mart. First off, a package of 10 CCIA RFID tags cost $35.00 -- i think we should stage a revolt on this--besides the point.
Anyways hubby got the auction to input the data, call the CCIA office to make sure the data was inputted so I could verify our calf. When doing so, the dumb tag is not registered to us. Call the help line, they are closed. What farmer works Monday to Friday 8-4 MST. I wish...
bugger, we check the animals, should have triple checked, our fault for sending a calf out with a tag missing. UGGG!
There should be help there on Saturdays and atleast until 8 on weekdays, especially with the fall calf run seeing so many animals sold across the country.

And insult to injury, the cost of them stupid tags... :mad:

Well the problem was when the vet went to register the tags, the server had problems. Called the vet, she worked her magic and was able to verify the calf..just in the nick of time

RR I feel your pain. I entered all of my data early this year as it is such a PINTA. Then I just recorded the reference numbers for each group of tags so I could print the birth certs out the day we shipped.

WELL so much for thinking ahead turned out UFA where we bought the tags from back in Dec. '08 had them entered under our corporation name not the farm name and therefore the tags were not acknowledged as ours by CCIA and of course this was a Sunday morning when I found out that the tags were not registered to us all 50 of them. All calves must be age verified or are a no sale.. I was screwed, so I printed the certs out and wrote in the DOB and month of age for the calves and sent them to the auction with the good certs on top that were filled out properly by ccia.

The next morning I was on the phone to ccia and ufa and after about 2 hours of straightening them out I could finally print out new papers with all of the right info ... CCIA called the sale barn and told them that the calves were age verified and I just sent the papers with the cows that were shipped on Tuesday.

The lady at ccia told me that I shouldn't have left it until the last minute and I said that I didn't I had everything done they just had to be printed out and why would I print a cert for them in June that say they are 3-4 months old when I sell them as 8 month olds.. :mad:

UFA is so fricken stupid they have done everything they can to make their store unfarmer friendly. Pack of 25 RFID tags are around $75.00 and I think that is BS..

Sorry to say, but I do mine all last minute, or rather in about the last week before we sell. They are all tagged at birth, and the # goes into my computer program (Ranch Manager)for each calf when it is born. Then, when I am ready, the same program makes me up a file and I submit it. It is a PITA cause the CCIA website is so painfully slow, even with highspeed, but that is as good as I can do. Took 15 min for them to process my file, and then I printed the AV cert out the same night. Then, I realized that I hadn't submitted the Express Verified info, so had to go back and do that. That was the night after we took the calves to the sale barn. That went through with no prob, and we took the Express Verified/Age Verified cert over and all was just fine.

Our tags are about $2.35/tag from our vet. Most other places they run in that $3 range.

Randiliana, RR remember when the RFID tags first came out ,you could buy 25 tags for 39.99..
What a bunch of propaganda.

I got our new , new premise ID number in the mail. You should see what the AB government wants us to do now.. :dunce:

hillsdown":1w1t0px5 said:
Randiliana, RR remember when the RFID tags first came out ,you could buy 25 tags for 39.99..

I got our new , new premise ID number in the mail. You should see what the AB government wants us to do now.. :dunce:

I honestly don't remeber the RFID's being that cheap :? . But I can't see how they need to be $3 now. So much for the idea that they would come down in cost.....

I'm curious? I can't understand why they made AV mandatory, took away any chance of anyone getting a premium there.....

randiliana":1aczzrgb said:
hillsdown":1aczzrgb said:

I honestly don't remember the RFID's being that cheap :? . But I can't see how they need to be $3 now. So much for the idea that they would come down in cost.....

I'm curious? I can't understand why they made AV mandatory, took away any chance of anyone getting a premium there.....

That is the CG logic, suck us in give us a premium and then screw us in the end..

Latest posts