For Sale/Want to Buy Section

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Is there not a forum setup for this? Why not? Seems like it would be a good thing. I always enjoy buying/selling /trading farm related stuff. It seems like the members here are pretty tight knit and friendly.
Just curious and asking, I for one enjoy reading and watching what equip. sells for etc.
Thank you

saltbranch":2v3b1k1m said:
Is there not a forum setup for this? Why not? Seems like it would be a good thing. I always enjoy buying/selling /trading farm related stuff. It seems like the members here are pretty tight knit and friendly.
Just curious and asking, I for one enjoy reading and watching what equip. sells for etc.
Thank you
There was but Macon killed it because of the spammers/con artists that posted most of the stuff there.

That was not part of the "forums" like this section was it? I remember seeing that and it seemed like any joe blow could throw something on it.
Some of the forums like this have options to limit who can post in a certain forum based on whatever restriction is chosen. Say like you must have a 100 post min. to use the For Sale area. Plus have a couple mods watch the forum for the spammers.
Thats what I did on a forum I had 6-8 yrs ago, it was powered by SMF and we could require certain criteria to bet met to post/reply in the for sale forum. Not sure if this forum lends itself to those kinds of options.
Please dont take this as complaining or that I know it all....I don't.

saltbranch":3yf8w6qx said:
That was not part of the "forums" like this section was it? I remember seeing that and it seemed like any joe blow could throw something on it.
Some of the forums like this have options to limit who can post in a certain forum based on whatever restriction is chosen. Say like you must have a 100 post min. to use the For Sale area. Plus have a couple mods watch the forum for the spammers.
Thats what I did on a forum I had 6-8 yrs ago, it was powered by SMF and we could require certain criteria to bet met to post/reply in the for sale forum. Not sure if this forum lends itself to those kinds of options.
Please dont take this as complaining or that I know it all....I don't.
Macon and I discussed this last week, the problem is finding someone willing to spend the time required to filter through the ads being posted to keep out the garbage.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86684

Well, I wish something could be figured out...

I've got 125 round bales of good hay left over this season that I've got to believe somebody would like to have, but I can't seem to find that person...

OklaBrangusBreeder":3fzqj1as said:
Well, I wish something could be figured out...

I've got 125 round bales of good hay left over this season that I've got to believe somebody would like to have, but I can't seem to find that person...
Doesn;t OK have a hay exchange website? I think you can probably advertise it on the MO site.
http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/haylst/

I have it listed on the Okla Hay Exchange site and have sold probably 75 bales that way. I've still got another 50 bales left and expect another cutting next week which will I bet be another 75 bales.

Hoping they all sell, or I guess I'll hang on to it to feed next winter.

OklaBrangusBreeder":24vtxozv said:
I have it listed on the Okla Hay Exchange site and have sold probably 75 bales that way. I've still got another 50 bales left and expect another cutting next week which will I bet be another 75 bales.

Hoping they all sell, or I guess I'll hang on to it to feed next winter.

Add a phone # and you just advertised her HERE.

Personally I think the only persons though should be able to post anything for sale should have 1500 + posts on the forum. I think that would cut the spam and unwanted bs out because anyone could just make a name and start advertising you know. Sorry to discriminate against people with under 1500 posts but that number i think would show you are serious about using the site in a beneficial manor.

skyhightree1":2uecjjz1 said:
Personally I think the only persons though should be able to post anything for sale should have 1500 + posts on the forum. I think that would cut the spam and unwanted bs out because anyone could just make a name and start advertising you know. Sorry to discriminate against people with under 1500 posts but that number i think would show you are serious about using the site in a beneficial manor.
I agree, but I think it could be around 500 post and be ok, if someone has spent that much time here and post's a ad,there probably really just trying to advertise something.

denvermartinfarms":14zvwjm8 said:
skyhightree1":14zvwjm8 said:
I agree, but I think it could be around 500 post and be ok, if someone has spent that much time here and post's a ad,there probably really just trying to advertise something.

I agree, but who's going to sift through the shyt load of spam and good posts to check for the X amount of good posts? Oh I do have spam to sell! :mrgreen:

Such as someone did if you want a need or to sell something just post it and see if it gets deleted. Sorry no farrowing crates.

:tiphat:

There are different of ways to manage the spam in a for sale area.
Moderators
paid members only post to classifieds
Parameters such as minimum 90 days membership or XXXX number of posts, before you can post in that forum.
For sale post goes to a moderator with a 48 hr approval window by a moderator to decide to make public.

Im sure the Admins have more options too. I like the for sale areas that are part of the forums, like this one.That gives you an option to rate the seller too. I really did not pay that much attention to the old classified area due to all the SPAM in it the 2-3 times I opened it up. It was not part of the forums like say the trucks.tractor and ,machinery forum was it?. I cant remember..seems like it was a separate web page.
I'd be willing to help/ donate time in the evenings if needed. I spend a lot of time reading old posts and gain some knowledge here and there in the evenings anyways.

I am not trying to stir something up and can provide references if needed to help. I just hate to see Spammers be able to take away something that has interest as expressed in this thread so far.

Latest posts