For Butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I have a longhorn heifer 2.5 years old. I believe she is sterile and instead of taking a big hit on selling her at the sale barn I am thinking of feeding her out and butchering her. Seeing that longhorns have a tendency to be very lean does anyone have a recipe for feeding her out that would increase her flavor and add some marbling? Very specific feed instructions would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Kansas

Sorry to hear that she is sterile. You are way beyond the age at which you can feed this animal out to change marbling characteristics, any fat depositon will just be subcantaneous body fat lining the outer carcass that you will just have to pay to have trimmed off. Also, after 30 months of age any cattle begin getting tougher based on muscle characteristics, so you are better off to slaughter her now or sell. Just a thought, train her to ride and put some tricks on her and sell her. We train horses and publish a book on trick training and several people with longhorns have bought the book and trained them as a novelty act.

Maybe I will let her horns grow out another year, and sell her to some out of state hunters. I will just have to make up a story about a Wild Bovine that has been terrorizing the countryside, destroying fences, killing livestock. Some say she even treed ol man McNeil for 2 days.

Should be able to get 2K for that.

KANSAS":2yznf9ah said:
Maybe I will let her horns grow out another year, and sell her to some out of state hunters. I will just have to make up a story about a Wild Bovine that has been terrorizing the countryside, destroying fences, killing livestock. Some say she even treed ol man McNeil for 2 days.

Should be able to get 2K for that.

There ya go, now that sounds like a plan.

Latest posts