For Balancer fans

Help Support CattleToday:

TN - thanks for the bullbarn clarification.

If i mate these hetero black bulls to pure bread angus heifers, I'm going to get all black calves, some of them (1/2) will be hetero. If I mate these hetero balancers to Charolais, what color will the calves be??? I don't know what genes are dominant, red, white, or black???

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what you guys mean by "funnel butt." I understand in words. I'm trying to learn here. Could you post me a link of what a low BW Gelbvieh bull looks like with the kind of butt I should be looking for so I can compare??? thanks

lgfarms":1zg8a502 said:
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=1

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/gelbvieh.asp?CodTouro=29GV0065

Here are two bulls that I think would be a good bet for calving ease and making moderate females. I have used Encore quite a bit on heifers and never pulled a calf. I have Encore females in production and they have been great producers with beautiful udders and good dispositions. I have never used Ace Ventura, but if you wanted to take off a little more frame he might be your best bet.

Both great choices. That's the kind of butt you want.

If you're having trouble understanding what funnel butt is look at almost any 55 year old white guy you see on the street.

Then watch an NFL game on TV.

Any more questions?

dun":23fvf6hf said:
On amrginal heifer and a marginal bull both for BW, it might not take a significant effect to cause problems. Over feeding could be another cause, but why not control what you can control, like feeding and bull selection.

Dun - Could you elaborate on what I should or shouldn't do feeding wise with these heifers to prevent calving problems???

If you want black Gv try Boo Boo he is older but proven and i have found him to be a very good heifer bull but he isn't homo polled or black but bred to black angus you should get black calves. ABS sells him up here. Advantage is a good choice too but the heifers have to be short and stout for him to work well, they can get kinda leggy and don't have the hip the Boo Boo calves. Just my experience from using these 2 bulls. Hope this helps out.

Rookie Rancher":1pviwej0 said:
dun":1pviwej0 said:
On amrginal heifer and a marginal bull both for BW, it might not take a significant effect to cause problems. Over feeding could be another cause, but why not control what you can control, like feeding and bull selection.

Dun - Could you elaborate on what I should or shouldn't do feeding wise with these heifers to prevent calving problems???

Over feeding grain or really hot forage is what I was referring to. Unless the feed is reaaly of poor quality grain and other supplements can cause excess fat in a heifer and excessive growth in the calf during the last 3 months or so.

skcatlman":1o559sco said:
If you want black Gv try Boo Boo he is older but proven and i have found him to be a very good heifer bull but he isn't homo polled or black but bred to black angus you should get black calves. ABS sells him up here. Advantage is a good choice too but the heifers have to be short and stout for him to work well, they can get kinda leggy and don't have the hip the Boo Boo calves. Just my experience from using these 2 bulls. Hope this helps out.
i have some calves due from him in feb

Latest posts