Football - the old days

Help Support CattleToday:

It's a shame for the family. But it reminded me of the "old days." When football wasn't so important and guys played for a lot less money. Most of them were tickled to have the chance to continue playing a sport instead of getting a "real job."

Frankie":22h69a2j said:
It's a shame for the family. But it reminded me of the "old days." When football wasn't so important and guys played for a lot less money. Most of them were tickled to have the chance to continue playing a sport instead of getting a "real job."

Yes. Back before huge TV contracts and free agency, most of the pro football and baseball players had to take jobs in the off season to make ends meet. Now most of them could live comforatably for the rest of their lives on one or two years salary.

Too bad about Max. He was special.

I liked what Paul Hornung said...

"I just lost my best friend," former teammate Paul Hornung told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "(His wife) Denise was away from the house. She'd warned him not to get up there. He shouldn't have been up there. He knew better than that."

Yeah, he knew better than that...and he was a guy...and his own person...and there's no doubt that Paul Hornung and his wife understand....and they'll love him forever.

RIP, Max McGee. :)

Alice

Along this same train of thought, but I get so tired of the talking heads on TV and the radio talk shows and their callers expounding on college football. I love college football, but I long for the days when it was something that was read about in the paper, and a few words were mentioned on the evening news about the upcoming game. Now, we have experts who are telling us exactly what a head coach is thinking and why he chose this play over that play. They get so involved with this stuff and make it out to be extremely important, that they tend to forget that it is a game played by 19-21 year old BOYS. I live in Alabama where college football is KING, and I woudn't have it any other way, but I wish we could keep things in perspective.

J. T.":14hy6411 said:
Along this same train of thought, but I get so tired of the talking heads on TV and the radio talk shows and their callers expounding on college football. I love college football, but I long for the days when it was something that was read about in the paper, and a few words were mentioned on the evening news about the upcoming game. Now, we have experts who are telling us exactly what a head coach is thinking and why he chose this play over that play. They get so involved with this stuff and make it out to be extremely important, that they tend to forget that it is a game played by 19-21 year old BOYS. I live in Alabama where college football is KING, and I woudn't have it any other way, but I wish we could keep things in perspective.
At one time wasn't it a game played by students and the spectators were also students?

Latest posts