foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
so i have a 250lb black white face heifer.....she was fine thursday then friday she was limping.....dont know if she stepped in a hole or what (front)....question is does foot rot come on over night or will you see her to gradually start to limp

Usually they just show up limping. There is only one way to tell. Put her in the squeeze, check her foot. Clean it out and check for foot rot. If it is I usually give them a shot of LA, and then squirt some between the toes. If not, and the limping ain't too bad, practice neglect for a week or two and see if it don't work it's self out.

Dixieangus":25b3rd5l said:
so what do i exactly look for when i check her feet
It will be cracked and infected between the toes. You will know for sure when he smell hits you.

Usually by the time they start to limp the ankle itself has started to swell up. All I usually do is clean out between the claws as best I can and hit them with Excenel and turn them back out. If they aren;t comletely recovered ib 2 days I hit them with Excenel again.

With all the abundance of rain, ill be suprised if alot more cases of foot rot don't pop up

She may have foot rot and limp on and off...

as has been said, the smell is a sign - as well as swelling and heat on the foot -- if left untreated it could go up to the next joint (the ankle) and then it will be harder to treat.

...get her in, check the temp, clean the foot and check it out.

Good luck -- and yes, with the wet this year and things starting to dry out - we will all be seeing a lot more of this especially walking in and out of water/feed areas.

I'm Glad to see this post, I've got a 2 1/2 yr old w/a 3 week old calf on her side. right after she had the calf I noticed her limping. two weeks ago I gave her duramician, & used a soap bottle to squirt bleach on the cut above her toes. This is on her left front leg. Yesterday I repeatd this again. the swelling went down in the leg, but her hoof is really swollen. Hardly puts sny pressure on it. And she can move pretty good on three legs. I thought it might be fescue foot, but the internet says that this effects the rear lgs. If i'm messing up, let mt know. Thanks Dan

daniel.carver":ltl98r3v said:
I'm Glad to see this post, I've got a 2 1/2 yr old w/a 3 week old calf on her side. right after she had the calf I noticed her limping. two weeks ago I gave her duramician, & used a soap bottle to squirt bleach on the cut above her toes. This is on her left front leg. Yesterday I repeatd this again. the swelling went down in the leg, but her hoof is really swollen. Hardly puts sny pressure on it. And she can move pretty good on three legs. I thought it might be fescue foot, but the internet says that this effects the rear lgs. If i'm messing up, let mt know. Thanks Dan
Fescue foot is also typically a winter problem or whe nthe grass is headed out. Most likely footrot and needs treating quickly and seriously.
Or it could be something wedged in the bottom of the foot between the claws.

dun":6kfw7fba said:
daniel.carver":6kfw7fba said:
Fescue foot is also typically a winter problem or whe nthe grass is headed out. Most likely footrot and needs treating quickly and seriously.
Or it could be something wedged in the bottom of the foot between the claws.

I have had 3 cases of it in the last month. None of them in the same pasture of corral. It's making me crazy!

KNERSIE":35e2lud2 said:
up the Zinc and iodine in the mineral mix as well or inject with Multimin
Fighting footrot is almost as bad as fighting flies. No sure fire cure but all the things already mentioned will help. Sometimes it's as bad in hot dry weather as in cool/damp weather. We use to walk dairy cattle thru a homemade solution containing anything from copper sulfate to formaldehyde. A good mineral with chelates and elevated iodine levels works about as well as anything but is not a short term fix...takes a while for the overall hoof health of the herd to improve. Seems a huge majority of ours was in the back feet and when a cow had a limp in front feet it was usually due to something else...but none are immune.

only if he can teach them to swallow a tablet whilst drinking water out of a glass.

TexasBred":1wkfursd said:
KNERSIE":1wkfursd said:
up the Zinc and iodine in the mineral mix as well or inject with Multimin
Fighting footrot is almost as bad as fighting flies. No sure fire cure but all the things already mentioned will help. Sometimes it's as bad in hot dry weather as in cool/damp weather. We use to walk dairy cattle thru a homemade solution containing anything from copper sulfate to formaldehyde. A good mineral with chelates and elevated iodine levels works about as well as anything but is not a short term fix...takes a while for the overall hoof health of the herd to improve. Seems a huge majority of ours was in the back feet and when a cow had a limp in front feet it was usually due to something else...but none are immune.

I've heard zinc sulphate being recommended as a footbath, but never used it myself.

The most problems we've had was in dry frosty conditions with cattle, in the case of sheep wet muddy conditions seems to be more of a problem. Whilst I agree there is no quick fix, Multimin really does wonders in case of a break out

Root rot can be a big problem in sheep. I used to footbath them when the weather increased the risk. I knew dairys that would do it as routien. It does not cure it but cuts down on the number you have to treat as individuals. Helps on general feet heath too.

Putting straw in the footbath the first time or two helps them to get used to going thru.

Re: foot rot
by dun » Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 pm

daniel.carver wrote:
Or it could be something wedged in the bottom of the foot between the claws.Old age isn't for wimps!
dun
Mentor

Hi All,
I'm at the hospital w/ my wife. she's had surgery. Proabably won't be back home for another two weeks, The neighbor & my brother are watching the place.
Now for the question: I previously posted about a cow w/foor rot, I did call the vet, He said to give it a shot of LA200 for four days. Didi this. Called him back, & he said to give her a week or two. I made it three days & called him out again, Because she was walking & trotting on three legs. So he came out again. (I'm not rich, but he's gettin there!) I got her back in the chute & it was'nt easy the day before. He says that her left nail will fall off and grow another back in. It will take up to 6 months.
By the time I get back ??????, But have any of you gone through this before?
Thanks Dan

Latest posts