Foot Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
My bull came up lame about 2 weeks ago in a back foot. Since it's been a rainy summer, and foot rot seems to be prevalent, we treated him last Wednesday evening with a high dose of LA200. He may be a little less lame than he was, but not significantly. In your opinion, would you retreat with another dose of LA200, or take him to A & M for an exam?

Put him in a squeeze chute/head gate and check his hoof,may be foot rot,a "stone bruise" or foreign body.You can tell if he has an abscess with pus formation.He may ned something a little more potent than LA 200.

Bull Lady,
A friend of mine had a bull come up lame, treated him several times with antibotics, helped some but he wounldn't get rid of the lameness. Took him to the vet so they could examine him better. The bull had 3 inch long piece of wood splinter in between his toes. The splinter was not visible they had to pull it out with hemostats. After treatment the bull was much better within a few days and within a week just like new. Best of Luck

sidney411":1akw1bo4 said:
What is/are hemostats?

Excellent desricptions everyone, I really liked Hillbillys' the best. That is exactly what they are. A small or Large scissor looking pilers or clamp. Used to spot bleeding in veins or arteries. Also used for any other general purpose.

TheBullLady":fwrbwb2i said:
My bull came up lame about 2 weeks ago in a back foot. Since it's been a rainy summer, and foot rot seems to be prevalent, we treated him last Wednesday evening with a high dose of LA200. He may be a little less lame than he was, but not significantly. In your opinion, would you retreat with another dose of LA200, or take him to A & M for an exam?
I would turn him over on a hoof triming table. The foot rot that I have seen in the last few years isn't the typical heel rot but is or is related to hairy heel wart. It is almost impossible to cure with tetracycline unless the foot is bathed every day or is packed with tetracycline with some sort of boot. Good luck it has been a thorn in my side.

I have been told that using the Hi-salt trace mineral block made by American Stockman helps prevent hoofrot, any truth to it? I don't know which mineral in the block is the magic but it is high in iodine also I have heard that is good for lumpjaw which always makes me puke to lance so I am trying it

Thanks for the responses.. I'm going to go ahead and haul him next week. I can't tell what he's got.. I don't feel any sores or pus spots in the foot, but even though he's gentle and doesn't mind me proding around, I can't lift his foot up well enough to see. I've been waiting until he's laying down to look at it!

We've been using the iodine salt licks for months. We've had so much rain, like everyone in Texas, that foot rot seems to be pretty common. This morning I noticed a cow limping.. :(

have you noticed any swelling in the hock?

we recently had a cow limping, gave her a shot of LA200. we didn't notice a considerable difference so i loaded her up & took her to the vet. of course she wasn't limping when we got her there so he couldn't tell too much but went ahead & cleaned out her hooves & checked for nails, splinters, etc & then trimmed both back hooves. a couple of days later we noticed swelling above the hoof that hadn't been there before. the vet then sent a shot of nuflor which took care of the problem.

Latest posts