Foot Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Lone Elm

Reaction score
What is the best treatment for foot rot when caught in the early stage? This seems to be a reoccurring problem in some of my pastured areas, but not in others. :D

Lone Elm":2w98igzw said:
What is the best treatment for foot rot when caught in the early stage? This seems to be a reoccurring problem in some of my pastured areas, but not in others. :D

How many head do you have with foot rot?? A lot of home remedies out there...formaldehyde foot bathes, copper sulfate, injections of antibiotics, mineral with hi levels of iodine. All work a to one degree or the other. Haven't had any in years but use to spray with iodine, apply copper sulfate and wrap with vet wrap. If you have quite a few I'd get a hoof trimmer out that brings his own trimming table and turn them over to him.

LA200 has worked well for me if given during the early stages of foot rot. Had one case this month. Gave her 80 cc of LA200 and she had an open sore above her hoof sprayed with hydrogen peroxide than with a blue spray to keep flys off. Keep her in a lot where the grass was not to high and 2 days later gave her 80 cc more of LA200 figured she weighed over 1400 lbs. She is better now. Good luck. Last year I had to sell one of my best cows because foot rot got in the bone even though I treated her 3 times with LA200. Took her to the vet the treatment was going to cost more than the cow was worth and did not know if it would work.

No matter what treatment you use - do not think for an instant it has cleared up when they stop limping - continue for a couple additional days to be sure you have killed it all.

Regards

Bez+

I use Excnel. Costs more per cc then LA200 but after you figure the actual cost of treatment it isn;t that much more. The dosage is much smaller then for LA200 and you don;t run out of injection sites from giving huge volumes.

dun":17wp7ktk said:
I use Excnel. Costs more per cc then LA200 but after you figure the actual cost of treatment it isn;t that much more. The dosage is much smaller then for LA200 and you don;t run out of injection sites from giving huge volumes.

Both good foot drugs, just need to make more treatments with Tylan or LA200.

I don't treat as much anymore. Both pinkeye and foot rot at greatly reduced it you improve nutrition and send high headed stock to the feedlot. I think stress is the main cause.

Stocker Steve":19uz660k said:
dun":19uz660k said:

Both good foot drugs, just need to make more treatments with Tylan or LA200.

I don't treat as much anymore. Both pinkeye and foot rot at greatly reduced it you improve nutrition and send high headed stock to the feedlot. I think stress is the main cause.

I use exclusively high mix TM salt. Blocks and mixed in mineral. I have NOT had a case of pink eye or foot rot in 5 years. NO kidding. :D
I totally agree, it's nutrition.

mnmtranching":2qd1dqg7 said:
I use exclusively high mix TM salt. Blocks and mixed in mineral. I have NOT had a case of pink eye or foot rot in 5 years. NO kidding. :D
I totally agree, it's nutrition.

If you get much of it a lot has to do with nutrition, but the single case every 5-6 years is something else. Just had a bull calf with FR, first case in 4-5 years. Nothing else has had a problem with FR or PE, just the one isolated case. 3 days treatment with Excenel and he's fine and dandy again.

Footrot is more environmental than anything else. It is caused by bacteria by cuts, bruises and abrasions that make areas of the hoof more susceptable to the invasion of the bacteria. Some things in nutrition can assist in maintaining better hoof health, harder hoofs as well as increase the effectiveness of the immune system in fighting the problem. Footrot will also can and will infest other members of the herd if left untreated.

I unloaded 128 stockers this spring. There was one high headed ***XXX$$ who I knew would get foot rot. He did with in a couple days. He worried himslf sick.

TexasBred":17zfcdj8 said:
Footrot is more environmental than anything else. It is caused by bacteria by cuts, bruises and abrasions that make areas of the hoof more susceptable to the invasion of the bacteria. Some things in nutrition can assist in maintaining better hoof health, harder hoofs as well as increase the effectiveness of the immune system in fighting the problem. Footrot will also can and will infest other members of the herd if left untreated.
I agree that footrot is environmental. Nutrition helps but if there is a wound and the organism is present you'll have footrot no matter how well nourished the animal is.

Good management (including proper minerals & nutrition) builds stronger/harder hooves & healthier skin, but, if the foot gets a cut & the disease is present in the soil, they are suseptible to getting it. Severe dry or severe wet can cause the feet to crack & gives a opening for the FR to enter.
If an animal is high headed, maybe it gets cuts on its feet from not paying attention & just bolting, but stress doesn't CAUSE it. I do believe stress can make anything WORSE.

Thanks for all the input. I don't believe that nutrition is the problem. The cattle have access to good grass pasture containing many varieties of grass. They also have access to appropriate minerals/salt, etc. I also supplement their diet with 21% protein cubes. I thought that the foot rot might be related to the topography. Several small creeks criss cross the pasture which also contains a pond. The cattle frequently stand in water and I thought this might make them more susceptible to the bacteria that causes foot rot. It seems like when one gets healed up, another breaks out with it several weeks later. What do you think? :)

Lone Elm":ysnig54s said:
Thanks for all the input. I don't believe that nutrition is the problem. The cattle have access to good grass pasture containing many varieties of grass. They also have access to appropriate minerals/salt, etc. I also supplement their diet with 21% protein cubes. I thought that the foot rot might be related to the topography. Several small creeks criss cross the pasture which also contains a pond. The cattle frequently stand in water and I thought this might make them more susceptible to the bacteria that causes foot rot. It seems like when one gets healed up, another breaks out with it several weeks later. What do you think? :)

Black cows?

Bez+

You have a management problem not a creek problem. You have a feeding or bedding area that has a problem, lime the feeding ,bedding area and spray the cattles feet with a 10% clorox solution out of a pump up sprayer.
I would bet your problem is where you are feeding cubes everyday. When you feed at a bunk feeder hay ring etc you have now increased your stocking rate to 20-25 cows per acre bingo problems arise.

Bez+":3gpg7byg said:
No matter what treatment you use - do not think for an instant it has cleared up when they stop limping - continue for a couple additional days to be sure you have killed it all.

Regards

Bez+

amen.

nuflor sub Q so you're not supposed to have to re-administer

Latest posts