Foot Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCB

Reaction score
Had 2 cows come up lame. Thought maybe they had a thorn in the hoofs. Took them to the vet and both had foot rot in the same hoof. Been on pasture a month and not really sure how they got it. We have had a lot of rain is the only thing I can think of.

I have Purina mineral out with salt blocks never had an issue before

LJCB said:
I have Purina mineral out with salt blocks never had an issue before

It's been a pretty wet spring for most of the nation. Salt with EDDI is the cheapest fix/prevention.

Don't know how bad the ticks are in your area (if at all) but I get a VFD from the vet every year for mineral with CTC. It's clearly stated on the VFD that it's only intended for anaplasmosis but can also aid in the prevention of foot rot. We're rotten soggy, have had a ridiculous amount of rain this year and I'm amazed none of my girls have had foot rot. Yet.

Same here TC, I just don't remember a spring this wet. We haven't had any problems in our herd ,but have doctored some in others. I keep waiting for an outbreak of either pinkeye or foot rot, because the conditions are as ripe as ever.

You can vaccinate for it but I never have so I don't know how well it works. I've always figured for something like foot rot that I can see on an individual basis that doesn't affect the entire herd it's easier and cheaper to just run them through the chute or rope them as needed.

cow pollinater said:
You can vaccinate for it but I never have so I don't know how well it works. I've always figured for something like foot rot that I can see on an individual basis that doesn't affect the entire herd it's easier and cheaper to just run them through the chute or rope them as needed.
Agree. But curious if anyone on here does vaccinate for foot rot?

TCRanch said:
cow pollinater said:

Used to do my bulls, but when first bull got footrot afterwards, I quit doing it. I only get the odd case in bulls every half dozen years, so the expense didn't make sense. There is no sure-fire cure in a bottle.

Aaron said:
TCRanch said:
cow pollinater said:

Used to do my bulls, but when first bull got footrot afterwards, I quit doing it. I only get the odd case in bulls every half dozen years, so the expense didn't make sense. There is no sure-fire cure in a bottle.

We used to do our bulls also. We got some cases of foot rot anyway. I do think the vaccine made the foot rot easier to treat, but that's about it.
I just use the Medi-Dart on cases I get these days. For the few cases that crop up it seems like it's one of those diseases that's easier to treat the symptoms than spending a bunch of time and money on prevention.

Silver said:
Aaron said:
TCRanch said:

We used to do our bulls also. We got some cases of foot rot anyway. I do think the vaccine made the foot rot easier to treat, but that's about it.
I just use the Medi-Dart on cases I get these days. For the few cases that crop up it seems like it's one of those diseases that's easier to treat the symptoms than spending a bunch of time and money on prevention.

x 3 here.

Dad always claimed a good run did almost as much good as anything. We have treated a few cases by soaking the foot In bleach and no antibiotics. The footrot went away just as fast.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:
Aaron said:

x 3 here.

Dad always claimed a good run did almost as much good as anything. We have treated a few cases by soaking the foot In bleach and no antibiotics. The footrot went away just as fast.
I've actually had good luck with Sustain III cattle boluses. Sometimes it's just not possible to get them to either the barn or corral to thorougly clean the foot/administer antibiotics so I'll break the bolus in half & hand feed them with cubes. Maybe because I usually catch it early? Dunno. But my girls are generally docile enough I can shove a stick, screwdriver or (worst case scenario) my finger between their toes & there's no mistaking the smell of foot rot.

Latest posts