Foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I had one of my older cows come up lame suddenly. Wasn't totally sure what happened, but it came on quickly. Vet says it is foot rot. Anyone have any dealings with this problem? Vet gave me some Draxxin which she got yesterday.

I don't have any advice on treating it, but if you'll keep EDDI salt out year round you won't have to worry about it in the future.

Draxxin should do the trick. We thoroughly clean the foot with diluted Betadyne, trim if necessary, and coat it with Kopertox. If you don't see a significant improvement within a few days you may want to give her Sustain III boluses.

Still swollen badly a week after treatment with Draxxin. She's walking a bit better but still looks bad.

Did you check to make sure there wasn't a rock or something in between the toes? I generally dig around with a flat head screwdriver. Or a nail/wire/whatever may have punctured her foot. DMSO or aspirin should help with the swelling. I have one that's chronic, most likely in the bone and we've treated her too many times. She's on her way out.

Aspirin would give her some pain relief. Swelling from foot rot should be gone in less than a week after treatment.
Swelling from bruising could easily take 4 - 6 weeks to heal.

I haven't been able to get her into the lot where I can secure her. Of course she's as far away from it as she can get. I'm going to try to get her tied down where I can get a closer look.

I finally got the cow into my lot where I could get a good look at the foot. This picture below is what I found. There was a hunk of something, almost felt like tendon or ligament, hanging out that I cut off. I probed around and didn't feel anything in there. Gave her some more antibiotics. I'm thinking now she had something in her foot. Anyone seen an injury similar to this?

In my experience once they get foot rot it will come back on them . I fought it with a couple cows for a few years. Never failed they would get it again. So now I get the cow back in good health and take her to the sale barn.

Rafter S":3t8gogli said:
I don't have any advice on treating it, but if you'll keep EDDI salt out year round you won't have to worry about it in the future.

Is that a special order item? Or do you mix the EDDI(iodine) in regular salt?

Banjo":10oshf4i said:
Rafter S":10oshf4i said:

Most companies will have a variation in their line-up that has the EDDI in it. I like American Stockman with EDDI, about $7.50 a bag....much cheaper than having to treat 2000 pound bulls with Draxxin.... :cry2:

Boot Jack Bulls":3p4bbr9r said:
Banjo":3p4bbr9r said:
Rafter S":3p4bbr9r said:

Most companies will have a variation in their line-up that has the EDDI in it. I like American Stockman with EDDI, about $7.50 a bag....much cheaper than having to treat 2000 pound bulls with Draxxin.... :cry2:

I feed Wind and Rain Hi-Mag mineral that has 60ppm Iodine is that not sufficient?

Had 3 so far this year. One caught soon draxin fixed. Another Draxin and bandage with ichthammol. The third took to cow vet went on table dug out rotten mess shot and bandage.

Banjo":3fnjngn0 said:
Rafter S":3fnjngn0 said:

Some feed stores carry it, but not all. The Feed Barn in Navasota does, but I was astonished to learn that Producers Co-op in Bryan doesn't.

Latest posts