Foot Rot Treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

sageridge

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is using to treat foot rot in their momma cows. I have great luck with a good dose of LA-200, and Flunixamine (pain killer), but it needs to be treated early. If it has progressed for a day or two this treatment is not nearly as effective. Also, the Flunixamine cannot be given to a lactating cow, so that limits me. I thought I read somewhere to use NuFlor, but I have never used it, or followed up on it.

We use Excenel now. We don;t get footrot but one case every few years. Used LA200 in the past but don;t like the dosage for a cow so we went to Excenel, much smaller doasge and just as effective.

sageridge":1pmczx54 said:
Just wondering what everyone is using to treat foot rot in their momma cows. I have great luck with a good dose of LA-200, and Flunixamine (pain killer), but it needs to be treated early. If it has progressed for a day or two this treatment is not nearly as effective. Also, the Flunixamine cannot be given to a lactating cow, so that limits me. I thought I read somewhere to use NuFlor, but I have never used it, or followed up on it.

Cant be given to a lactating cow huh? I reckon all my beef cows I gave it to and they and their calves were fine must be different from the norm. I know you arent supposed to give it to dairy cows for milk consumption.

Nuflor seems to work better like dun said. Even excenel.

sageridge":2tgox7rz said:

Sager check that out. Oftentime when that phrase is used it pertains to dairy cattle producing milk for human consumption.

Is Flunixamine the same as flunixin?
There's no milk with-holding on it in this country, if there is in the US it's just a legal difference. Should be fine if you're not selling her milk.
There's a couple of other anti-inflammatories can be we used on dairy cows, with various milk with-holding times - Ketamine and Rimadyl.

I use penicillin, at any stage. Has always worked well for me - I've also used Excenel in the past with good results.

Thanks everyone for the info. I need to look at my label again, I may have misread it. I thought it didn't sound quite right. I have never heard of Excenel, but I will look into it. And yes we all need to be very careful with Micotil.

Latest posts