Foot Rot Treatment Timing?

Help Support CattleToday:

We hit them once with antibiotics and if not well in 2-3 days we catch them and tie the leg up so it can be examined and treat from there. We just had a cow that I thought had foot rot. Give her Excede and she got better but not 100%. After 3 days put her in the squeeze and tied her leg up. Cleaned the foot and couln;t see an issue. Scraped the bottom of the foot and found a tiny puncture wound. Cut out the black tissue around the puncture, give her another does of excede and turned her out. Within 2 days no more limp.

Similar to Dun, we start by giving Sustain in the pasture. I usually pull debris from between the toes with needle nose pliers or stick a screw driver in-between for the "sniff test". If we don't see results with Sustain we bring them in and examine the foot to determine Plan B. Usually a hefty dose of LA300 works on "typical" foot rot but sometimes it's more severe than anticipated and then we use Draxxin, sometimes with additional Sustain. I thoroughly clean the hoof and I'm a fan of Kopertox. If I can't figure out what's wrong once we get them in the chute they go to the vet. In our neck of the woods, "foot rot" is quite often a piece of gravel, a stick or limestone wedged in between the toes.

Stocker Steve":2jwbtjwt said:
TCRanch":2jwbtjwt said:
Similar to Dun, we start by giving Sustain in the pasture.

Sustain bolus?
Yes. Foot rot is just one of the diseases Sustain can treat. I like them because my girls are hand-feeders and I can easily treat them in the pasture: give 'em a couple cubes, break the bolus in half and pop it in with the next mouth-full. One bolus per 200 lbs. I've also hidden them in Twinkies and hot dog buns (don't judge, it worked!) or simply tossed them in a bowl of cubes, sometimes with a little molasses drizzled over them.
Sulfamethazine (formulated in a sustained release base)
495 grains (32.1 grams)
Sustain III® Boluses (Sulfamethazine Sustained Release Boluses) are intended for oral administration to beef cattle and non-lactating dairy cattle (See RESIDUE WARNING Statement). Sustain III® Boluses are indicated for the treatment of the following diseases when caused by one or more of the following pathogenic organisms sensitive to sulfamethazine:

Bacterial Pneumonia and Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex (Shipping Fever Complex) (Pasteurella spp.), Colibacillosis (Bacterial Scours) (E. coli), Necrotic pododermatitis (Foot rot), Calf Diphtheria (Fusobacterium necrophorum), Acute Metritis (Streptococcus spp.).

Stocker Steve":60w25q5a said:
Stocker Steve":60w25q5a said:
Sustain bolus?
One bolus per 200 lbs. I've also hidden them in Twinkies i]

Interesting to try, as long as there is not a grass fed foul for feeding Twinkies? ;-)[/quote]
We discovered the girls like bread & stale hotdog buns (because no one will eat the heel or last one). One thing led to another and prior to Hostess going bankrupt, there was an outlet store in town where I would buy racks of the week-old products (who knew Hostess made tortilla chips & pretzels?). The girls got a treat every day - they especially loved the little donuts. Anyway, that's how I discovered the beauty of hiding aspirin & Sustain and they never seemed to catch on. I don't claim grass-fed only and I don't divulge they're carb addicts :)

Latest posts