foot rot in angus

Help Support CattleToday:

bchedzoy

Reaction score
A number of our black angus suddenly came down with foot rot (confirmed by vet) a few days ago, despite being on clean, dry green pasture. What are the risks of doing nothing, and what could be done to prevent this from happening again? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

do a search. there has been alot of foot rot.

if your vet confirmed it, what did he say to do about it?? i can guarentee he didnt say nothing.

don't leave it untreated!

The best preventative measure is to ensure your cattle aren't Zinc or Iodine deficient. Supplement this with minerals high in the said two elements.

Footrot isn't breed related to my knowledge, I don't think any breed is more proned to footrot than the other. If anything I should think that black hooved cattle like angus should be less susceptible because black hooves is usually harder than white hooves.

KNERSIE":29th3wrn said:
don't leave it untreated!

The best preventative measure is to ensure your cattle aren't Zinc or Iodine deficient. Supplement this with minerals high in the said two elements.

Footrot isn't breed related to my knowledge, I don't think any breed is more proned to footrot than the other. If anything I should think that black hooved cattle like angus should be less susceptible because black hooves is usually harder than white hooves.

I'm rapidly becoming convinced that good minerals are worth the extra money. For yrs. I've fed the $8 / bag minerals. I've had multiple cases of foot rot every year. This year I bit the bullet and started feeding Right Now, Emerald, which has the IGR for flies as well as higher levels of the elements that matter. I hope I don't jinx myself but to this date I have not had a single case of foot rot since winter and the flies though not gone are greatly reduced. I pay $22 / bag for these minerals and think it's money well spent.

bchedzoy":3026fkik said:
A number of our black angus suddenly came down with foot rot (confirmed by vet) a few days ago, despite being on clean, dry green pasture. What are the risks of doing nothing, and what could be done to prevent this from happening again? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doing nothing will likely leave you with a big ol' group of lame cows that will be worth about $30/cwt. for bologna.
Get away from the computer right now and go get you a bottle of LA-200 and treat everyone of them that shows any signs/symptoms. Don't start another thread looking for a cheaper treatment or some magical treatment. I'm not trying to be mean but the if the vet was there he/she should have already told you this and the cattle should have already been treated and on their way to a full recovery.
Don't let 'em walk around in a wet area - i.e. ponds, springs, or other swampy area. Also, make sure your pasture is clear of any debris - i.e. old wire, equipment parts laying around, etc.

KNERSIE":3ct6u0bs said:
I don't think any breed is more proned to footrot than the other. If anything I should think that black hooved cattle like angus should be less susceptible because black hooves is usually harder than white hooves.

Never had a cow to get foot rot on the actual hoof.

My cattle's footrot is always between the toes in the interdigital area.

Do you mean black skin is tougher than light skin?

Did I miss something here?

MikeC":3adabcw0 said:
KNERSIE":3adabcw0 said:
I don't think any breed is more proned to footrot than the other. If anything I should think that black hooved cattle like angus should be less susceptible because black hooves is usually harder than white hooves.

Never had a cow to get foot rot on the actual hoof.

My cattle's footrot is always between the toes in the interdigital area.

Do you mean black skin is tougher than light skin?

Did I miss something here?

ignore what I wrote, I was typing without thinking.

But yes, black hooves are harder than white hooves, but it wouldn't play a role in footrot

cattle can get foot rot on the hoof. it is a little harder to see than it would be in the interdigital space. it's not pretty

Victoria":smr6dvij said:
It has to be treated. In the future, copper in the diet helps prevent footrot.

I know zinc and iodine plays a big role, never heard about copper deficiency having an influence on foot rot, I know it has a very adverse effect on fertility.

Be carefull too much copper is toxic, though

Get them vaccinated for it. I just had my new black angus bull treated for it. The vet told me that he had seen so many cases so far this year, and it doesnt matter if its wet or dry...

KNERSIE":12silpke said:
Victoria":12silpke said:
It has to be treated. In the future, copper in the diet helps prevent footrot.

I know zinc and iodine plays a big role, never heard about copper deficiency having an influence on foot rot, I know it has a very adverse effect on fertility.

Be carefull too much copper is toxic, though

Copper does play an important role in healthy hooves. "It is required for production of healthy claw horn tissue as well as antioxidant activity. Copper deficiency reduces the cross linking of keratin, decreasing structural strength of horn tissue." It also helps boost immunitiy. You are right, should have mentioned that too much is toxic. I also should have mentioned that now that the cattle already have hoof rot to grab some Koppertox and squirt it on when they are run through for shots.

Nuflor has worked really well for me for treating footrot. Usually one injection cures it. Give at a dose of 6 mL/100 lbs. of body weight.

Zinc as well as copper in the "amino acid complex" form rather than oxides and sulfates work well for footrot but more as a longterm preventive than a treatment. Some do treat directly to the infected area with copper sulfate and have mixed results. I've seen dairy cattle made to walk thru a footbath containing formaldehyde which helped also. A good mineral with a high zinc, copper and iodine level will help and by all means buy the I.G.R. mineral this time of the year.

bchedzoy":11wvwv8r said:

Hello bchedzoy

treating their feet or soaking their feet in water with hydrogen peroxide will take care of foot rot.

Latest posts