Foot Rot Bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":kl8o14zr said:
I am having much more foot rot with bulls than cows. Bull treated are running about 25% per year vs. < 2% on cows. Any comments or tips?
Elevated levels of iodine and zinc methionine complex being included in the mix will help harden the hoof and improve hoof health. Feed mill might sell you both. Ask for EDDI 4.6% or 9.2% and Zinpro 40 or Zinpro 100.

We always get our bulls vaccinated before breeding season for foot rot! Works very well. Had a bad pasture last year where I'd say 1/3 of the cows got it but the bull stayed foot rot free. Vet does it when we bring em in for testing.

TexasBred":29kiubeo said:
Stocker Steve":29kiubeo said:
I am having much more foot rot with bulls than cows. Bull treated are running about 25% per year vs. < 2% on cows. Any comments or tips?
Elevated levels of iodine and zinc methionine complex being included in the mix will help harden the hoof and improve hoof health. Feed mill might sell you both. Ask for EDDI 4.6% or 9.2% and Zinpro 40 or Zinpro 100.
I use the salt (mineralized) with EDDI year round and have no foot rot issues on my bulls. We are on clay, so it is wet 75% of the time, and can't risk a 2000 pound bull getting foot rot.

Boot Jack Bulls":t9djcdz2 said:
TexasBred":t9djcdz2 said:
Stocker Steve":t9djcdz2 said:
I use the salt (mineralized) with EDDI year round and have no foot rot issues on my bulls. We are on clay, so it is wet 75% of the time, and can't risk a 2000 pound bull getting foot rot.
Excellent. Another poster here does the same with the same results.

JCcattle":2bqkdfpy said:
We always get our bulls vaccinated before breeding season for foot rot! Works very well. Had a bad pasture last year where I'd say 1/3 of the cows got it but the bull stayed foot rot free. Vet does it when we bring em in for testing.

What do you vaccinate them with? Fusogard?

Stocker Steve":1nsx5k0r said:
Start spraying down their feet and bedding area with 10-20% chlorox solution. Also feed food grade iodine per direction.
I haven't had a case in years as when I have a batch of 2-1-1 made I have iodine added.

Have used EDDI since we started in 1974. Footrot is minimal - not like outbreaks that some people have. I'm the only guy left around that uses it, have to special order it, in 22 lb tubs. Will go through 2-3 tubs a year.

JCcattle":11z73a7m said:
Yes Fusoguard!

We've been giving that too but I don't think its always that particular strain. This year we also gave Endovac-Beef with ImmunePlus. The testimony I read on it sounded good and every bovine on the place has been vaccinated with it now. We'll see what happens

Stocker Steve":iekg9lm1 said:
Do you think bulls sometimes need more or different mineral than cows?

I don't know about that, but I do know that I prefer to use chelated mineral free choice year round, along with the EDDI salt free choice year round. I like to make sure that the A,D & E content of the mineral is plenty high also. This helps with fertility and skin/hoof issues also. It may not be a cure all, economic plan for everyone, but for me, it works. I have had no issues with foot rot and my boys come through winter on good grass/alfalfa mix hay looking awesome.

Ned Jr.":3fwknq16 said:
JCcattle":3fwknq16 said:
Yes Fusoguard!

We've been giving that too but I don't think its always that particular strain. This year we also gave Endovac-Beef with ImmunePlus. The testimony I read on it sounded good and every bovine on the place has been vaccinated with it now. We'll see what happens

Sounds like something to look into! Fusogard has been working so far but should it not then its good to know there's something else good out there!

Latest posts