Foot question

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
I have an older gelding with a history of foot problems since he foundered 4 years ago.He's been doing fine, until it got muddy. Now he is limping & has 1 foot that stinks to high heaven. I'm treating it was an antifungal/thrush type product. The temps have gotten colder so mud isn't an issue right now-thus I'm Not keeping him penned up. Feedback appreciated.

That could be a host of issues. Abcess, affects of the founder, thrush, frozen ground. Do you know how to pressure test a foot?

Bigfoot":3rztzdil said:
That could be a host of issues. Abcess, affects of the founder, thrush, frozen ground. Do you know how to pressure test a foot?
No,I don't, but i can tell you its sensitive. He'll let me pick it up, but is uncomfortable. I'll Google about pressure test & see what I can find. The extreme smell is why I've been treating for thrush.

It sounds like an abscess but what does his sole look like? Nice and concave like a normal horse with good tough feet, very flat or convex as in dropped like a horse that has foundered?

Ken

wbvs58":3djn9f94 said:
It sounds like an abscess but what does his sole look like? Nice and concave like a normal horse with good tough feet, very flat or convex as in dropped like a horse that has foundered?

Ken
Bingo- abscess.It must have burst, but I don't see where. Previously its been by coronary band, but must have been on the sole this time. He's getting around better tonight, & took off with the rest of the herd.To answer your question, his sole is more flat.He stays barefoot, & I try to keep hooves short.Never been the same since foundered. Thanks for your input. It's an ongoing saga with him.

Bigfoot":j35gbui3 said:
Do you mean how to use a hoof tester?
If so, I don't personally have one, but have seen farrier & vet use one. Previously I've used a hammer & gently tapped to help locate an abcess.That's what I think it was, because he's better tonight. The smell through me off, & made me think it was thrush.It must have been the smell of abcess burst.Still can't see where abscess burst, though.Thank you for your interest.

Believe I would get him up, clean up the foot and check it out. Take a hoof knife and careful pare away to where you can possibly see where it blew out.(or puncture, or whatever is going on)
If you find a place pare it out a little, soak in warm epsom salt water bath until the water cools, pack it with pine tar, pack the bottom with gauze, vet wrap it up but keep from getting too high/tight and cutting off the circulation at the fetlock. Check it, and repeat in a few days, sooner if he's in bad/muddy/manure conditions or if the wrap comes off. This was our standard method of treatment and it seems like it worked most of the time.

talltimber":12fr707k said:
Believe I would get him up, clean up the foot and check it out. Take a hoof knife and careful pare away to where you can possibly see where it blew out.(or puncture, or whatever is going on)
If you find a place pare it out a little, soak in warm epsom salt water bath until the water cools, pack it with pine tar, pack the bottom with gauze, vet wrap it up but keep from getting too high/tight and cutting off the circulation at the fetlock. Check it, and repeat in a few days, sooner if he's in bad/muddy/manure conditions or if the wrap comes off. This was our standard method of treatment and it seems like it worked most of the time.
Thank you for sharing your procedure. I was planning on doing a more thorough evaluation tonight, but he was feeling so much better he took off! I've done the soaking/ bandaging routine before, but never used pine tar. So if I can find the rupture, I'll give that a try.

I had a nice long post wrote, and then realized you found it was an abscess. A gauze soaked in iodine and sugar makes an excellent poultice also. We keep a bucket of gauze soaked in it in the barn office at all times. Safe for goats, cattle, horses, ect.

Boot Jack Bulls":3n4hdqr5 said:
I had a nice long post wrote, and then realized you found it was an abscess. A gauze soaked in iodine and sugar makes an excellent poultice also. We keep a bucket of gauze soaked in it in the barn office at all times. Safe for goats, cattle, horses, ect.
I appreciate your response, & am always eager to learn. Didn't know about iodine & sugar! Thanks

I guess everybody has their favorite drawing paste for an abcess, but I like icmathol and allum.

Bigfoot":u2b3qt14 said:
I guess everybody has their favorite drawing paste for an abcess, but I like icmathol and allum.

Icthamol is a good one too! It can be hard to find up here. Its also too strong on the goats, so we keep the iodine/sugar on hand as well.

Latest posts