Foot Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Have a cow with frequent foot issues. I have had her checked by a vet twice. He says she is fine. She was limping again and I got her in the squeeze chute and found a square gravel up between the claws on her right front foot. The tissue between her toes was healthy - no footrot, etc. I removed the stone and used a cordless angle grinder to do a little contouring of her hoof.

She is the only cow that has frequent problems with getting sticks, rocks, debris trapped between her claws and then starts limping. She is big, in the 2,000 lb area. I know based on a cow I sold in January that went 1890 pounds and this cow is definitely bigger. Her claws are shaped like a "C". It causes a gap in the middle of her foot. The weight she carries on those feet may also be an issue. I am thinking about culling her because it is getting to be frustrating dealing with her and I don't get any peace if I let things like this go.

TennesseeTuxedo":s38c66gx said:
Sell that monster and downsize to a compact.

You should have seen her in the chute. Bless her heart. She still went in but it was scraping the hair from her sides. I took the camera with the intentions of taking a picture of her in the chute but it was a stressful job for me and her and I wanted to get it over. I could not get her foot up so I hooked a chian on the top bar of the chute, fastened a hand winch to it and winched her foot up until I could tie it off. I would like to downsize her position in the herd to a smaller girl. But she was one of the original 4 I started with. Her (Big Bertha) and Panda Bear are the only two left.

Here she is. The partially visable cow just back of her is the one that tipped the scales at an even 1,890 pounds in January.

qx1mv9.jpg

Inyati,
Big cows for sure... Holstien influence? I ask this as my in-laws are in the dairy business and with those big cows, and they are constantly having to trim feet (granted that those cows are typically on concrete a lot due to milking). Not sure if there is any difference between beef cattle and holstiens with regards to feet.

TN Cattle Man":3bx5cov4 said:
Inyati,
Big cows for sure... Holstien influence? I ask this as my in-laws are in the dairy business and with those big cows, and they are constantly having to trim feet (granted that those cows are typically on concrete a lot due to milking). Not sure if there is any difference between beef cattle and holstiens with regards to feet.
The biggest difference betwen dairy and beef hooves has to do with the diet. A lot of grain (typical for most dairys) and the feet suffer.

TN Cattle Man, my vet thinks she has Simmental in her. Almost everyone else thinks she has some holstein in her. Her head shape tells me some holstein.

Hey, the word holstein is contrary to the rule, "i before e except after c". I had to look it up because I was spelling it like you did, but it didn't look right. That is why.

inyati13":29u63fjo said:
TN Cattle Man, my vet thinks she has Simmental in her. Almost everyone else thinks she has some holstein in her. Her head shape tells me some holstein.

Hey, the word holstein is contrary to the rule, "i before e except after c". I had to look it up because I was spelling it like you did, but it didn't look right. That is why.
Dang Inyati... I was thinking that before I even typed it! It didn't look right to me either... I am lost without spell-check.
:tiphat: