Foot problem

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
This is the third cow that has had this issue. The first two (they occurred at the same time), I explained as a sprain from stepping in an armadillo hole. Both had a big limp and resolved themselves within a week. On closer inspection of this one, I see the redness. The others had the same noticeable swelling, but I did not see the redness. Now a fourth has developed the same issue, it is a black animal so the redness is not evident.

It has been the same area of the leg each time and has been a hind leg each time.

Ideas? Fire ants?

DSC_1757_-_Copy.JPG

x3 la200 and sulfa boluses will fix it once its started. Agood mineral program will keep it from being so prevelant in the first place.

I had 3-4 cows do that during the winter I used LA200 on a couple of them the others quit limping after a week or two.
I keep a mineral auromycin mix in the trough through out the year unless it's going to rain for few days.

Thanks. They are on free choice minerals. I will check them tomorrow and see how things are looking...and read up on hoof rot.

As they said, LA200 or Nuflor is usually the best treatment. Also, footrot is said to be very contagious so we try to seperate cattle with footrot from the others.

I can't see between the toes, so you may be dealing with fescue toxicity. Or other.
You must examine the foot to determine if it is foot rot.
Only with foot rot will the skin and tissue between the toes be swollen and cracked with decaying tissue protruding.
MW

It can be on the back of the foot as well for foot rot. Most commonly its between the toes as medicinewoman said, but it can be just about anywhere on the foot. Its a bacterial infection allowed to enter the body through a wound. So if a cow cuts the back of her foot, thats where the footrot will begin.

Latest posts