Foot Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

I would like to have the equipment, as well as training to do some AI myself, it would be nice some days, but I can't justify the cost at this point... besides getting semen out here is pretty darned hopeless anyhow... I can't even find a Saler bull without driving 700 miles one way!

Nesikep":1jhnbdd5 said:
I would like to have the equipment, as well as training to do some AI myself, it would be nice some days, but I can't justify the cost at this point... besides getting semen out here is pretty darned hopeless anyhow... I can't even find a Saler bull without driving 700 miles one way!
See Nesi, you could order Saler semen for your cows. Not all semen is $50 a straw. AI just your best cow and raise your own Saler cross bull! :D

I would probably do the cow I kept the bull from last year, she has 1/4 saler in her as it is, and LOOKS like she has 3/4. You're right, not all semen is $50/straw, some is more! In 4 or 5 years, when I'm done with Limo for a while, I am really thinking of making the trip to alberta with the trailer and picking up a bull there.. Might even deliver our Limo there as butcher prices are better by about 7 cents... would go a little ways in paying the fuel at least... might be one pizzed off bull by the time he got there though. You see, the thing is I'd have to get semen from alberta probably as well.

Nesikep":2x9jd100 said:
I would probably do the cow I kept the bull from last year, she has 1/4 saler in her as it is, and LOOKS like she has 3/4. You're right, not all semen is $50/straw, some is more! In 4 or 5 years, when I'm done with Limo for a while, I am really thinking of making the trip to alberta with the trailer and picking up a bull there.. Might even deliver our Limo there as butcher prices are better by about 7 cents... would go a little ways in paying the fuel at least... might be one pizzed off bull by the time he got there though. You see, the thing is I'd have to get semen from alberta probably as well.
We've been using mostly 15-20 dollar semen for years. Rarely a 25 dollar semen.

I'm under the impression semen is cheaper where you are, as more people AI... Also, if you so badly want those GREAT genetics, you're going to have to pay.. If you want good, I'm sure there's a lot more choice to be had. If I could AI, I probably would with some cows at those prices.

Just filling the semen tank with nitrogen is going to be a PITA around here too though

Nesikep":1o5dnsig said:
I'm under the impression semen is cheaper where you are, as more people AI... Also, if you so badly want those GREAT genetics, you're going to have to pay.. If you want good, I'm sure there's a lot more choice to be had. If I could AI, I probably would with some cows at those prices.

Just filling the semen tank with nitrogen is going to be a PITA around here too though
If one subscribes to the "bull of the month club" semen will always be high. If all you want arwe good solid proben bulls that have stood the test of time the semen is much lower. Shipping semen to Canada might be a lot more expensive, but the major studs will ship the stuff just about anywhere. Nitrogen could be problematic. When we were in the desert it was a 6 hour drive each way to get nitrogen, that;s why I had a tank with about a 7 month working time. I also picked up all of my emen for the year when I got the tank filled. I just had ot shipped to the stud that filled the tank for me.

Nesi,

I understand your concern about AI and the issue of trying to improve traits on a short term basis.

I AI because I want to. I cannot make a monumental arguement that it is a significant asset to an operation like mine. I enjoy the procedure and like being involved in the process. It engages me in their reproductive cycle, etc. I do think there are benefits to being able to access the genetics but like you say, I could put more money in an outstanding bull and be fine.

In regard to breeding for form and function to correct poor traits in my herd, I agree with you 100%. It took Mendel a life time of breeding pea plants to figure out the ratios of recessive and dominant traits. Turning the genetic tide in cattle with their reproductive cycle would be a greater challenge. If I were 20 years younger!!!!!!!

BTW: I work with Select Sires. My straws are purchased in canes of 10. I pay $20 per straw. A few are a little higher. They keep my tank full for a very small annual expense.

inyati13":3d0e553d said:
Nesi,

I understand your concern about AI and the issue of trying to improve traits on a short term basis.

I AI because I want to. I cannot make a monumental arguement that it is a significant asset to an operation like mine. I enjoy the procedure and like being involved in the process. It engages me in their reproductive cycle, etc. I do think there are benefits to being able to access the genetics but like you say, I could put more money in an outstanding bull and be fine.

In regard to breeding for form and function to correct poor traits in my herd, I agree with you 100%. It took Mendel a life time of breeding pea plants to figure out the ratios of recessive and dominant traits. Turning the genetic tide in cattle with their reproductive cycle would be a greater challenge. If I were 20 years younger!!!!!!!

BTW: I work with Select Sires. My straws are purchased in canes of 10. I pay $20 per straw. A few are a little higher. They keep my tank full for a very small annual expense.

Goes to show if folks market it enough and say it enough it becomes fact.

The tide can be turned quicker, bred in prepotency. You should go visit Keeney

As long as it fits what you're doing, and it's not a hassle (to you) to AI, I don't have any issue with it, it just wouldn't work for me since I turn my cows out to pasture for breeding.

Allforage, I found pictures don't need to be doctored to trick your eye, I have a catalog of bulls, and they're all standing in 10" of straw, they all look extra deep bodied and long because of it. There's another recent thread around here that showed 2 pictures of the same bull, taken 2 hours apart, the first was an "ordinary" picture, and he didn't look bad by any means, but in the second "professional" picture, he was again standing in straw, the camera was closer to the ground, and he looked a year or two older, and certainly looked better. Now that I'm more aware of how my eyes can be tricked, I watch out for that.

Latest posts