Foot issues?

Help Support CattleToday:

The outside claw has a deep fissure running from the corona to the tip. The inside claw is small and of poor form.

That cow does not have a good foot. Even if the fissure grows out, the foot is not what you want to see.

TennesseeTuxedo":287qg3mv said:
Bullet behind the ear.

If we have heard it once, we have heard it 10 times:

No excuses for my cows. If they have a wart on their azz, cull 'em. Lol

Bright Raven":3s4pcq7r said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3s4pcq7r said:
Bullet behind the ear.

I'm not making excuses, she has a nice udder raises a great calf and isn't going anywhere till she can't walk. I am taking some more hoof pictures when I get her back towards the chute. I want to learn about toes and feet, how old do you think that hoof is? She's never came up lame yet but I'm expecting it after reading these post.

True Grit Farms":2uplpqp1 said:
Bright Raven":2uplpqp1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2uplpqp1 said:
Bullet behind the ear.

I'm not making excuses, she has a nice udder raises a great calf and isn't going anywhere till she can't walk. I am talking some more pictures when I get her back towards the chute. I want to learn about toes and feet, how old do you think that hoof is?

Not as old as Nefertiti.

Bright Raven":2rws19sg said:
True Grit Farms":2rws19sg said:
Bright Raven":2rws19sg said:

I'm not making excuses, she has a nice udder raises a great calf and isn't going anywhere till she can't walk. I am talking some more pictures when I get her back towards the chute. I want to learn about toes and feet, how old do you think that hoof is?

Not as old as Nefertiti.
True she's definitely A.D.

True Grit Farms":1zfjwrm8 said:
Bright Raven":1zfjwrm8 said:
True Grit Farms":1zfjwrm8 said:

Not as old as Nefertiti.

How old is she?

Bright Raven":v6o9cjts said:
True Grit Farms":v6o9cjts said:
Bright Raven":v6o9cjts said:
Not as old as Nefertiti.

How old is she?
Her number is 901 and she was born on 1/14/09 my wife says she's had 7 calves already? She counted twice so she might be right, I know she had her first calf at 18 months.

Bright Raven":1do33x2i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1do33x2i said:
Bullet behind the ear.

I am not quite that ruthless. At least not with cows. Women, maybe. :hide: :D

Aaron":22r2sh9a said:
Bright Raven":22r2sh9a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":22r2sh9a said:
Bullet behind the ear.

I am not quite that ruthless. At least not with cows. Women, maybe. :hide: :D
explains a lot! :lol:

Shave away a bit of hair over the coronary band and see if you can see any sign of scar/ injury around where that groove originates. The rings in the hoof wall suggest some systemic problem.

Ken

wbvs58":2x8lt722 said:
Shave away a bit of hair over the coronary band and see if you can see any sign of scar/ injury around where that groove originates. The rings in the hoof wall suggest some systemic problem.

Ken
Thank you, should I mess with anything or just leave her alone?

If she was born 1/09, she should have had 1st calf by 1/11, so she should be nursing her 8th calf by 1/18
Grit, I had a few cows with good feet that had the exact same type of split this summer. Several people had the same problem because we were soooo wet We ground a V into the crack & put coppertox on them. All healed/cleared up great except one. Her hoof went "funky". It grew out flat & wide. We don't even know how to trim it. She is due to calve this week. May be the last calf for her. Real bummer because she is a great dam. Hope for a heifer!!!! I may have a hoof trimmer come out & check it. I only know of one that comes in this area - but comes out of PA, so not here very often. I don't use a trimmer, but I know he has a table. She is gimpy on it.

True Grit Farms":2ul3czm5 said:
wbvs58":2ul3czm5 said:

Ken
Thank you, should I mess with anything or just leave her alone?

If she is not lame not much you can do other than give it time and see if things grow out, though that groove all the way down suggests that there is some damage to the coronary band and the hoof will continue to grow that way.

Ken

I have heavy clay ground and get a lot of fissures like that. They never seem to slow anyone down so I don't mess with them. Scissor claw on the other hand isn't something that tends to end well.

Thanks all, I wish I'd of never looked at her feet, If a cow isn't limping I never look at their feet. She walked over to the cart yesterday looking for treat and I noticed the crack. I checked her twice today and she show's no problems yet.

Latest posts