foot ailment

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a nine year old cow with a three month old calf at side. After a sudden freeze, she started limping on her left front foot. It was swollen between the hoof and fetlock. I put her in the barn with the calf, and started grain feed and hay with minimal dose bute for the inflamation, there is no sign of a foreign object in the hoof, no sign of temp. the swelling has decreased a little after three days. I can't get a vet to come because of the remoteness, so I am forced to handle myself. Should I start an antibiotic like Pen g or La200? She is tolerant but not friendly since she is separated from the herd, so I try not to get too confined with her.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

[email protected]

She may have "foot rot". By "no sign of foreign object or fever" do you mean you ASSUME this from a distance? She could have a small stone stuck between her hooves or a crack. You really should confine her & pick her foot up. Take a piece of baling twine, double it over & put a knot in the middle. Insert this between the hooves & "see-saw" it with the knot being pulled back & forth between the hooves. If there is a foreign object or foot rot, this will clean it out. Give a shot of LA200 if there might or was a foreign object or crack. Jeanne
> I have a nine year old cow with a
> three month old calf at side.
> After a sudden freeze, she started
> limping on her left front foot. It
> was swollen between the hoof and
> fetlock. I put her in the barn
> with the calf, and started grain
> feed and hay with minimal dose
> bute for the inflamation, there is
> no sign of a foreign object in the
> hoof, no sign of temp. the
> swelling has decreased a little