Food trends?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Been searching, trying to get an idea of current food trends and come to few conclusions. What I do see is as follows.

1) People are too lazy to cook. Look at Door Dash, Hello Fresh and all that crap. Fast food is non-stop around here.
2) everybody is eating chicken and they want it fried not grilled
3) Veganism is on the rise faster than the keto diet.
4) Soy is in everything and no one seems to have issue with that (but me)

What trends are you guys seeing?

Been searching, trying to get an idea of current food trends and come to few conclusions. What I do see is as follows.

1) People are too lazy to cook. Look at Door Dash, Hello Fresh and all that crap. Fast food is non-stop around here.

I know this is a little of topic but...

About 5 months ago.
Started on a keto then moved to a more carnivore type diet.
Was taking blood pressure , type 2 diabetes and cholesterol drugs. Had a prescription for insulin i n my hand that I never filled. I thought this is not the road I want to take.
I eat no roots, no fruit, no seeds, beans peas etc. No corn, no corn oil, no bean or seed oil.
I eat on average 6-7 eggs a day , a good bit of bacon and lots of fatty red meat. If a steak is to big I cut the lean off and give it to the dog. And I eat the fat. I do eat cabbage, broccoli in small amounts and cooked in lard.
I eat all I want with no regards for calories. Except I want half my calories to come from animal fat.
I'm completely off all diabetes medication, most blood pressure meds and all cholesterol meds.
Started at 245 pounds now I'm at 210.
Type two diabetes is self inflicted by a diet that imo is completely unfit for most humans. But recommended to us by our government for generation s

Last edited:
Most people balk at the carnivore diet but it's been far more the norm throughout human history than eating vegetables. What did the Mongols eat? How about the barbarian hordes in the 5th century? The Inuit and American Indians? All these people mostly ate meat.

Some folks will argue that life expectancy was also 40 years back then but that number factors in infant mortality and predates antibiotics.

I'm seeing all of the above plus the gluten free crowd.

Happy I still live in small town, Ag country. There's now a Gold Nutrition in town that sells ridiculously expensive smoothies, but I'm betting it won't last long. Cooking is actually a "thing" around here, with everyone passing around & posting their new favorite recipes.

@callmefence, well done!!! I'm a horrible eater. There's no such thing as too much cheese, V-8 is my primary source of vegetables and in my world, my daily cinnamon-raisin bagel counts as fruit. Now, I won't eat the fat, but am definitely a carnivore. And yet my BP & cholesterol are fine and I don't weigh much more than a 2 week old calf.

No Hello Fresh, Door Dash, etc around here. It is 30 miles to the nearest fast food. Everyone cooks at home. We went out to eat on Saturday evening (Chinese) it was the first time we ate away from home in a year.

A little over 3 years ago I had a Doctor tell me that I had high blood pressure and beginning diabetes. I quit any processed food and anything with sugar. I ate meat, vegetables, and fresh fruit. I lost a bunch of weight. Turned out that the doctor was wrong about everything he said. What do you call someone who finishes last in his class at medical school? I gradually went back to my old ways. I need to get back on that diet and loose some weight.

We sold at the local farmer's market a few years ago, it was a real eye opener. Most of the patrons were there to get cooked foods, like sausage and biscuits, breads, muffins, etc. The next numerous group were there to buy honey, wine, flowers etc. The folks that came for fresh produce were definitely in the minority, with the exception of sweet corn and tomatoes. They would often walk by our stand and comment things like, it looks good but we don't want to fool with cooking it.
We have noticed that when we eat our own food be it meat or vegetables vs eating at restaurants or processed foods there is a difference in how we feel afterwards.
A year ago last January, I had a serious nosebleed, and a friend recommended I go to a quick care clinic. My blood pressure was through the roof. I started watching what I eat, cut out as much sodium as possible for the blood pressure and also to alleviate some Meniere's disease effects. I try eat a lot more fruit and vegetables and our beef and eggs. I also cut out caffeine.

I don't pay a lot of attention. I eat basically the same foods I've always eaten. The thing I've noticed food related is that when we once gathered around the lunch table at school, everyone ate portions that wouldn't keep me active for 30 minutes. Teachers bring their own lunch and have stuff that looks like grass and slivers of cardboard, and everyone likes to say the word "carbs."

I supply my daughter with a freezer of beef and she does mostly take out or home delivery instead. My son and his family go through the beef I give them and are waiting for the next instalment. The difference is my daughter-in-law was raised eating home grown everything, like beef , pork, chicken, fruits and vegetables. Here parents might be considered to be "preppers". I guess it depends on how people are raised. Eating out has become a regular thing for many and we are instilling those norms in our children. Unless something changes future generations will all be slaves to the fast-food giants.

If had to label my diet, I'd say it's more along the lines of a Paleo type. I eat carbs but try not to exceed 135 grams a day and never eat carbs without fat and protein, try to eat 25 grams of protein a meal and any fat that happens to be on the meat. I don't actually measure and know exactly the amount of protein and carbs but after you do it a while you can guess pretty close. I rarely ever eat processed foods, we cook at home and I take leftovers to work for lunch. We eat alot of what we grow in the garden and fresh beef. I don't eat grains such as wheat, rice and oats, I eat limited dairy due to some health issues I've had that is linked to too much dairy. I started this journey early October due to high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high liver enzymes and psoriasis. Went to a holistic Dr that run a bunch of tests and told me how I should eat to address my problems. I wasn't trying to lose weight because I wasn't really overweight, weight loss has just been a byproduct of not eating much sugar or carbs. My psoriasis is clearing, I feel better, and I have to believe all my other issues have been resolved. I'll find out next time I do bloodwork.

I cooked for a living on and off since I was in high school. Met my wife that grew up eating all natural foods. Our kids are the ones we have to push in the right direction, school serves dominoes pizza at lunch. . They love the processed foods. We dont even buy junkfood often, maybe a granola bar or chocolate bar or even a bag of pretzels now and again. My weakness is ritz or tricuit crackers with cheese or dip of some sort like hummus or spinach dip. We eat what we grow and trade our bounty with the neighbors to get a variety of garden foods. I actually enjoy cooking. We were always disappointed when we did go out to eat, usually because we are too far from home. We could do better than most places at home in our kitchen....

No Hello Fresh, Door Dash, etc around here. It is 30 miles to the nearest fast food. Everyone cooks at home. We went out to eat on Saturday evening (Chinese) it was the first time we ate away from home in a year.

A little over 3 years ago I had a Doctor tell me that I had high blood pressure and beginning diabetes. I quit any processed food and anything with sugar. I ate meat, vegetables, and fresh fruit. I lost a bunch of weight. Turned out that the doctor was wrong about everything he said. What do you call someone who finishes last in his class at medical school? I gradually went back to my old ways. I need to get back on that diet and loose some weight.
Lots of doctors dishing out bad advice because they were taught the food pyramid like most of us. A nurse told me that you have to have some carbohydrates which is completely untrue

Lots of doctors dishing out bad advice because they were taught the food pyramid like most of us. A nurse told me that you have to have some carbohydrates which is completely untrue
Most Doctors are on the "fat is bad'" wagon. While fat from processed foods are bad, good natural fats are not. Too many carbs are most people's problem. I was always told the only way to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides was to do away with red meat and eat leaner portions of meats, yetb it never helped and was hard to get full. Dr I see now says eat all the meat and fat I want that overloading carbs was causing my problems.

Most Doctors are on the "fat is bad'" wagon. While fat from processed foods are bad, good natural fats are not. Too many carbs are most people's problem. I was always told the only way to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides was to do away with red meat and eat leaner portions of meats, yetb it never helped and was hard to get full. Dr I see now says eat all the meat and fat I want that overloading carbs was causing my problems.
Seems like the low fat craze really took off in the mid -70's. It also appears that the obesity epidemic started then too and has accelerated as fat consumption has decreased. Is this my imagination?

Certainly appears that way to me.
If you don't feed your body sugar and carbs you run on fat. Like your supposed to. And you don't get fat.
If you eat carbs and sugar your body runs on the easy energy and you store fat.
New science is showing things that we thought where healthy ain't so much. Fruits being a example. Beets another. Huge amounts of sugar. The thinking of you need vegetable and fruit for certain vitamin and minerals to. Every thing you need in ample quantity is in animal fat. You just have to get passed fat is bad way of thinking.

I admire fence and others. If I do away with anything processed, packaged or preserved, and watch the roots and High sugar fruit, I melt like a popcicle. About a week to 10 days is as long as I can stick with it. I need to make a lifestyle change, and hold to the change.

I cooked for a living on and off since I was in high school. Met my wife that grew up eating all natural foods. Our kids are the ones we have to push in the right direction, school serves dominoes pizza at lunch. . They love the processed foods. We dont even buy junkfood often, maybe a granola bar or chocolate bar or even a bag of pretzels now and again. My weakness is ritz or tricuit crackers with cheese or dip of some sort like hummus or spinach dip. We eat what we grow and trade our bounty with the neighbors to get a variety of garden foods. I actually enjoy cooking. We were always disappointed when we did go out to eat, usually because we are too far from home. We could do better than most places at home in our kitchen....
Dill, sea salt & olive oil flavored Triscuit's with muenster cheese and a piece of turkey pepperoni is generally what I eat for lunch. Maybe not the healthiest, but could be worse.

Kodiak power cakes flapjacks & waffles high in protein. I like them with avocados. Sounds weird but who's to say avocados is any different than any other pancakes or waffles...strawberries, blueberries, banana, nuts, ect. Avocados are super healthy. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I'm weird. The high protein keep you full longer. 🥑🥞🧇

I've been thinking for a while generation lazy is lazy. 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️ 🤡 I'd rather eat at home. We are normally disappointed if we eat out. We like to eat healthier and eating out isn't healthy.

Plus I'm weird about people preparing my food. No hair nets or gloves grosses me out. I don't want someone that may have had their fingers up their butt or their friends butts or nose touch my food. Funny as it sounds not my type of a good time. 🤣🤮 I've worked in restaurants before no thanks. Have fun. You have no clue how much can slide. Mouse droppings are fine with the health department as long as they don't see a mouse in action during inspection. 😲 I've works where they make cakes trust me they drop stuff and continue using it all the dirty floor. I'm sure not all places are equal nor all people. 😊