Food Stamp Use

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":l1ckezcv said:
My parents have said that before food stamps, it was relief. People picked up commodities at the post office that qualified.
I can remember my own grandparents going down to the gov't office and picking up butter, cheese, powdered milk, whatever else they had. No idea what it took to qualify but I doubt they served over a couple of hundred folks each month.

i remember my mom taking her dad to the farm center and them handing out commodities out of a semi trailer it was next door to the national guard armory and guardsmen were handing it out. he was in his late 70's then and did not have a pension and very little social security. however he did have 11 children that all made sure he was taken care of.

Bigfoot":ema8sw5q said:
My parents have said that before food stamps, it was relief. People picked up commodities at the post office that qualified.
All of commodities were surplus that the government bought to support the producers. Could be rice, cheese, beans, flour powdered milk to name a few. We got the same thing in the school room.

My 1st wife's grandmother got those grain & dairy commodities late 70s-early 80s..cheese, rice and powdered milk is all I remember. The powdered milk was unremarkable but the cheese made some dang good grilled cheese samwiches. I saw some big long blocks of cheese in a store just this week that reminded me of that govt cheese..

Latest posts