Food plot question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":16euc9i6 said:
Hot wire will not effect the deer in any way. They go right through them.... act like they don't even feel it.

If I am having trouble with deer tearing down my hot wires I hang some tin foil with peanut butter on it. This gets the deer poped a couple of times and they seem to start respecting the wire more.

If you do the electric fence use round composit post and high tensile wire from Kencove. I bought the same from PowerFlex till they went out of business.
The deer will go through but not knock them down. Once in a while you'll have a post or two pulled up.
The deer will also learn them and jump them very soon but as soon as the rut starts you will have new deer that don't know them. They run through them.
Feed rice bran and or soybeans. Deer walk over corn for either one of those.

If your hunter doesn't turkey hunt and your interested in leasing your Turkey hunting I have friends that love it and are always looking for a place.

jedstivers":22ldevuy said:
If you do the electric fence use round composit post and high tensile wire from Kencove. I bought the same from PowerFlex till they went out of business.
The deer will go through but not knock them down. Once in a while you'll have a post or two pulled up.
The deer will also learn them and jump them very soon but as soon as the rut starts you will have new deer that don't know them. They run through them.
Feed rice bran and or soybeans. Deer walk over corn for either one of those.

If your hunter doesn't turkey hunt and your interested in leasing your Turkey hunting I have friends that love it and are always looking for a place.

Thanks for the info. My son loves to turkey hunt, so I kept it out of the lease for him. A friend of mine usually takes him deer hunting.

Bigfoot":3ny1nk6r said:
My hunter is packing up to go home. He hit me up last year to see if I would put in a food plot. I wasn't super keen on the idea, because I didn't want to fence off a spot. I think I have a solution. I big water shed lake is my back boundary. The last two years, they seem to be keeping it very low. Meaning I have some bare ground exposed around the edge of my woods. It's starting to go back to nature actually. What could I plant there, that would make a good plot? I was leaning towards wheat/oats/rye. They could close the spill way a little, and reflood it anytime they wanted. I don't want to plant anything to expensive.

I've also got a pretty good sized spot in one of my woods getting a little daylight, but not much. I got tough, and drove my tractor in there this summer, and bush bogged down the brambles. I could get in there with a leaf blower, and clear the leaves off of 3-4000 square feet. What would you plant there?

I'm currently running 5 corn feeders. Plots may not be necessary, but I'd like to give it a try

Winter peas along with turnips.

We have neighbors all around us the put out feeders for deer. We see a lot of deer on our place where we stockpile forage.

Latest posts