Food aid.

Help Support CattleToday:

I am all for helping less fortunate nations with food. Just as soon as we are all fed here at home. If we can figure out how to get every child in the United States fed daily then we may be able to set an example and send money around the world. JMHO. JLP

how does the saying go "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime." I just have to think these developed countries wont get anywhere if we keep giving hand outs.

Another thing I've been interested in is how much does China do globally for developing nations? If they have the fastest growing economy I hope they are also doing there part or is it just the Americans?

If $20,000 for a hammer is any indication of how savvy our procurement managers are in Washington, I seriously doubt $770 million will feed very many people. Heck, I'll sell 'em my garden and all my cows for $70 million and would probably feed more people.

hillrancher":70j11jry said:
I beleive 770mil. on birth control would feed more people than the food.

Excellent point. There is after all an often over-looked law of nature called "carrying capacity". Artificially increasing this capacity only makes the problem worse in the long run. Not long ago I listened to a speaker talking about this same subject. He suggested shipping them DDT rather than food. According to him, since Rachel Carson wrote her book, 50 million women and children have died from malaria when the western countries threatened to deny Africa aid if they continued using this insecticide.

World hunger is a big problem and I'm afraid its going to get worse. I just wonder how the greenies propose to solve this problem with organic farming without fossil fuels, insecticide and fungicides. I just hope they didn't get any ideas from the movie Soylent Green.

Actually what I was going to say is that the government pays for most of our school lunches, and if that is the sort of food they are sending overseas, then world populations are going to die from being fat, and all the complications related thereto, rather than starving. Government food = carbs and empty calories. At least where I work it does. It if does not come on a bun or wrapped in a tortilla, we don't serve it.

hillrancher":397150n5 said:
I beleive 770mil. on birth control would feed more people than the food.
Good point.
I believe providing education in general, and specifically about birth control is just as important as food.

Population growth will diminish--one way or another. The words of Malthus still live, in my opinion.

Jogeephus":2v40uxq4 said:
If $20,000 for a hammer is any indication of how savvy our procurement managers are in Washington, I seriously doubt $770 million will feed very many people. Heck, I'll sell 'em my garden and all my cows for $70 million and would probably feed more people.

Yeah, and just think about rich those procurement folks are these days. They also bought $375 toilet seats. Humm, ever heard they saying, "scratch my back, I will scratch yours?" They were special toilet seats though. They were white. :mad:

I think its time to mind our own business. Sure it is sad to see people starving . But them you feed today will be the ones shooting at you next year.Them Somilams can rot before we send them anything, for all i care.