Follow Up to What Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had such a good response to my question regarding What Breed that I thought I would try to get imput on this. Since I was in the Dairy Business and know the holstein breed maybe I should raise holstein heifers from bottle calves to springers. I'm in Middle Missouri and there are very few dairy farmers here though. Would they be marketable. I can only raise 10 to 30 at a time and the beef market seems to be for the large farmer.

[email protected]

I have a neighbor that did that for years. Or I should say his wife and kids did that for years. He was on the road and they stayed at home with the calves. They're really demanding on your time until weaned. Heifer calf prices just got too high for him, though. He said he couldn't afford to pay high prices for the heifers and lose some of them. He did contract with a local dairy for a while to raise their heifers. If there's not a dairy in your area, who would you sell the springing heifers to? They generally won't make good range cows; too much milk. Why do you think MO beef business is for large farmers?

[email protected]

> I have a neighbor that did that
> for years. Or I should say his
> wife and kids did that for years.
> He was on the road and they stayed
> at home with the calves. They're
> really demanding on your time
> until weaned. Heifer calf prices
> just got too high for him, though.
> He said he couldn't afford to pay
> high prices for the heifers and
> lose some of them. He did contract
> with a local dairy for a while to
> raise their heifers. If there's
> not a dairy in your area, who
> would you sell the springing
> heifers to? They generally won't
> make good range cows; too much
> milk. Why do you think MO beef
> business is for large farmers? Frankie thanks alot for your response. Holstein Heifers are very high now someone said $4.00 to 6.50 per lb at 3 year old. I live in Middle Missouri near Moberly. It seems here most of the farms are pretty large more than 50 cows. I could probably handle 10 to 30 full grown cows, but I believe I would have to raise registered stock and find a market for the offspring. Your thoughts are appreciated

[email protected]

You might be surprised to learn that at least 50% of all beef slaughter animals are born in herds of less that 50 cows. In your part of the country, it is probably even higher. Most of the large herds are much farther West. This is why it has been very difficult to breed consistency of end product. If you can handle up to 30 cows you would definitely not be the smallest in your area.

[email protected]