Foaling (calving) heat

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
How much succes have you had breeding on the first natural heat post calving. This one has only been fresh 22 days but I AIed her tonight anyway.

dun":2heirpka said:
How much succes have you had breeding on the first natural heat post calving. This one has only been fresh 22 days but I AIed her tonight anyway.

I've had some get bred by the bull-- and catch....And usually it was a "catchcolt" and it wasn't when I really wanted to have them bred....

I had a couple of first calvers that had 2-3 week old calves(last to calve) on them when i pulled the bull. And both calved the next year. If they are in good body condition then they shoud catch. I guess it depends on how fertile the cow is.

What did the bullstring look like? If clear the chance is pretty good that she'd settle, if not the chance is slim.

KNERSIE":1u3r6m3k said:
What did the bullstring look like? If clear the chance is pretty good that she'd settle, if not the chance is slim.
Bullstring?

I suppose he is referring to the stuff that comes from under thev tail when the cow is cykling.
I agree in that case; albeit I never had cows AI:ed until forty days after calving.

ANAZAZI":21f1xlno said:
I suppose he is referring to the stuff that comes from under thev tail when the cow is cykling.
I agree in that case; albeit I never had cows AI:ed until forty days after calving.
It's kind of funny that this year the 4 we've done so far haven;t had any slime when we bred them. One was just going out of standing heat and she was still a dry hole. But all of their cervixes were wide open

I have a couple I can get away with that on, last year they were 17 days post calving. I'm moving one cow from the fall herd to spring herd in 3 1/2 yrs.

Sizmic

It's always worth a try - provided the semen isn't more expensive than the three week gain in calving date...

I've noticed a few of my cows that calve at 10/14 month intervals, swinging from early to late in the calving season every second year. They must be catching on their first cycle to have a 10-month interval.
Bulling string is what we call the clear mucous they produce when they're on heat.
Had the vet examine one yesterday - she calved in October as a 2-yr old and has never been seen cycling to get back in calf. Vet confirmed she isn't cycling. So I guess she hasn't had her calving heat yet. (she's very skinny)

dun":1cunczz9 said:

Our older cows always seemed to breed on first heat after calving.

dun":of6ptd71 said:
KNERSIE":of6ptd71 said:
Bullstring?

What did the sheath look like when you pulled it out ? Was it clean as a whistle or was it schmangy and dirty ? When I moved my calving season up by 3 months we AI'd a few on first heat after calving and the ones that were clean usually caught and the odd dirty one did as well. Sure like to give them that first heat though to get all the remnants from calving out of them and have a better embryo attachment. I have had a cow abort late term and surmise it was because she was bred on her first heat after calving and did not have a strong attachment of the embryo ? :?

hillsdown":2mk55x4a said:
dun":2mk55x4a said:
KNERSIE":2mk55x4a said:
Bullstring?

What did the sheath look like when you pulled it out ? Was it clean as a whistle or was it schmangy and dirty ? When I moved my calving season up by 3 months we AI'd a few on first heat after calving and the ones that were clean usually caught and the odd dirty one did as well. Sure like to give them that first heat though to get all the remnants from calving out of them and have a better embryo attachment. I have had a cow abort late term and surmise it was because she was bred on her first heat after calving and did not have a strong attachment of the embryo ? :?
Clean enough to eat with! Except the plunger that was all green and stinky

Latest posts